Just got my 36X optical today

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
OK, this camera is D1 resolution, but I just had to try the 36X optical out! It's going on the terrace as I type this! :)

FullSizeRender.jpg

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I assumed it was going to be on the low end resolution wise, but looked it up to be sure.

The maximum resolution a conventional analog camera can provide after the video signal has been digitized in a digital video recorder or a video encoder is D1, which is 720x480 pixels (NTSC) or 720x576 pixels (PAL).

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Like I said, it's only D1, but on mobile devices and when items are optically zoomed in, it's pretty clear. As always, I will be doing a demo video on youtube.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm sure the 36x zoom adequately compensates for any lack of resolution.

I was using some hd to analog converter the other day, and viewing that downconverted 1080 signal on a small sdtv it certainly looked like 720p. Way better than analog that used to come over the pipe. So, I'm sure it can be useful and with the zoom you can crop into the needed details. Even though you may have to zoom in more, than with let's say a 3mp 12x zoom, to capture the same exact detail.

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Your pretty much right icerabbit. The full screen zoomed out image is not impressive at all. But when you zoom into something, it's very similar to 1.3mp quality. I do like that the lower resolution
is less strain on the network and slightly more responsive. The IR's are just as good as any of the other PTZ's. If I can't find a good home for it, I'll probably end up looking to sell it at a pretty good price.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
hrmm; this would be a good candidate for some land I have in the middle of nowhere; the only internet it could get would be cellular or sat.. not much to look at but it could save a long drive out to check on things.. lots of wildlife.