Just some local thieves spooked by motion sensor light

Reaction score
Hello OP, how dark is the actual scene? I am new to these cameras and my eyes can't determine ambient light prior to the motion lights turning on.
Those cameras look great, and earning each penny it looks like.

Thanks

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello OP, how dark is the actual scene? I am new to these cameras and my eyes can't determine ambient light prior to the motion lights turning on.

Thanks
Any of of the Dahua 5442 series of cams will serve you well.

simby

n3wb
Reaction score
Pretty dark. One not very bright street lamp roughly 40 feet away is the closest source of light. The motion sensor light is 30W LED if I remember correctly.
Here are the settings for the 5442. Lot's of gain.

Thanks

Attachments

Last edited:
Reaction score
copy that. Thanks.
I am so sold on this camera already contacted Andy. I'm still away from home but hopefully i make it home soon.

It looks like a great camera for night.
'preciate your efforts

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
In the UK they're pulling a new trick now - tale an ultrabight flashlight with a narrow focused beam and when the lights come on, shine the torch onto the sensor to trick it into thinking it's daylight so they go off again. The guy with the torch then keeps the sensor lit whilst the others steal from the vehicles.

I haven't tried this but I suppose the answer is either to disable the inbuilt light sensor and attach a separate one protected from a ground based beam elsewhere on the home, or wire 2 sensors in parallel and install them in different places so they can't shine on both at once (would have to check with an electrician to see if this is OK but I can't see why it wouldn't be).

Reaction score
Smart thinking. My goal when I get back home is to use home automation and have a rule set to where if the motion sensor is triggered, all the exterior lights (either front part, or rear part) come on and stay on for x minutes....something that makes it so its not too long, but is long enough for someone to say "ah fack it these lights aint gonna go off" and leave. So once its triggered it no longer matters if its daylight or night, they just stay on according to the rule. I am still new to it all, but I'd like to implement that, still trying to decide on all the equipment (sensors, lights, that can all talk to each other via home automation software)

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
In the UK they're pulling a new trick now - tale an ultrabight flashlight with a narrow focused beam and when the lights come on, shine the torch onto the sensor to trick it into thinking it's daylight so they go off again. The guy with the torch then keeps the sensor lit whilst the others steal from the vehicles.

I haven't tried this but I suppose the answer is either to disable the inbuilt light sensor and attach a separate one protected from a ground based beam elsewhere on the home, or wire 2 sensors in parallel and install them in different places so they can't shine on both at once (would have to check with an electrician to see if this is OK but I can't see why it wouldn't be).

OK I have tried this now. It didn't work against mine as mine latch on for the duration of the timer once activated. I'm guessing there are some out there that don't.

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Probably thieves... but I'm one to just check anything out that looks interesting with no intent to steal. I'd probably be curious about those blue lights and start wondering if they are SMD reel lights, or what, then take a closer look. Could even be curious to see what kind of bike people are riding. Heck, I check out cars in parking lots when it's the first time I've seen that model. Probably look like a creep.