just wondering

trapper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have been fine tuning my day and night settings on my LPR. I am getting closer and closer every day to a great capture. During the day I played around with the exposure in auto mode and it gets very good quality video. To expedite the fine tuning will the auto setting show me exactly what shutter and gain it is using at that moment. this would be very helpful as it would take a lot of frustration out of the trying to throttle gain and shutter. Thanks again for all your help

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Unfortunately no it will not. I would expect daytime would be 1/10,000 or faster. But you should run 1/2000 unless you are bright all day as sunrise/sunset times will struggle with 1/10,000. Try like 1/2000 shutter and 35 gain and see what happens.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah 1/2000 washed out. What are you running brightness ans contrast and gamma at?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok adjust those. Like brightness 35 or 40 and contrast 8-10 higher than that and gamma like 40 and see what it looks like

trapper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
there are some very smart people on this forum. Is it possible to develop a program that monitors your cameras field of view and would walk the user through the fine tuning. More this, less that and so on. Am I just dreaming or is it realistic. I would only have limited application probably just for LPR

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
there are some very smart people on this forum. Is it possible to develop a program that monitors your cameras field of view and would walk the user through the fine tuning. More this, less that and so on. Am I just dreaming or is it realistic. I would only have limited application probably just for LPR
We have that program, it's wittaj :D

Most LPR cameras are used for that one function, it doesn't work to multitask it.

Actually, there are a lot of brains around here, it's a melting of ideas along with a lot of experimenting that gets it all done.
And of course, the forum gods have blessed us with a great platform.

I was so happy when I found this forum. I totally turned from expensive cheep cameras to value prices great cameras, and never looked back.
The ability to use a "normal" camera for LPR made me go buy one and set it up just to make it work. And it was these guys that have helped
dozens of people through their problems.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
You have a good angle,,,,and are getting great shots.....My best consistent/ set it forget it....results have been to move away from day/night settings with color and go to 24/7 B&W with IR on Auto. This keeps my camera from changing focus in transition. I have a Condo parking lot where most of the problematic stuff happens in the dark....The soultion has been more outdoor cams to assist the LPR,,,,and let it have 1 Job,,,,LPR's are most consistent with 1 Job....color is nice but I missed important plates a few times when the thing changed focus from day to night.

trapper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
thank you flintstone I think I have been over thinking this. quest for the better best picture. agreed the plates are readable and thats all that matters at this point. I am not using any third party plate reader or subscriptions I am happy. thanks again for all the support expecially wittaj

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
To fine tune that last little bit really is by trial and error. Do very small adjustments, then take a look and see how it looks. Park your car there, if possible, and fine tune it. Or perhaps con the wife/kids, neighbor to drive by on repeat.

It can definitely be frustrating to dial it in...