Keen Ranger PT

Burner

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a remote cabin I'd like to be able to monitor in real time as well as record motion. I came across a cellular cam that can record on SD as well as cloud.
Has anyone had any experience with this setup, pros and cons. I'm already not impressed with Reolink's support but that's par for the course...

Thanks

Burner

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'd avoid anything Reolink.
Lots of cellular game cams that should work out in a situation like that.
There are a bunch of them our there, the ones that offer real time viewing are pricey. The Keen is around $250 and comes with solar panel, 32G SD, 1G of cloud storage free(not much). Still thinking about it...

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There are a bunch of them our there, the ones that offer real time viewing are pricey.
Depends on what you mean by real time and how you're powering it.

Most cellular game cameras operate something like this:
When motion is detect they take one or more pictures, on most you can also record video. The camera uploads tiny copies (think 640x360 pixels) to their cloud service. You can request full size copies of pictures that have something noteworthy in them. Typically to conserve battery, they're set to upload say 4-6 times a day. You can make them upload right away after something is detected but you'll burn through batteries. I'd suggest cameras watching each other in the event of vandalism (don't all need to be cellular). Some cellular game cameras let you upload video, but it will typically be a low quality copy followed by high quality if you request it. Depending on the camera and location you may get a lot of shots of the wind. Not too many of these are going to let you pull up a live view whenever you want.

If you have power at the cabin you have other options. You could install cameras that record to an NVR and connect it to the internet via an LTE router or a satellite internet provider. You could also power something like this with solar and batteries.

Burner

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
tangent - I do have power at the cabin. Other than the vandalism my main concern is how often I need to mow the fields. If it gets too tall my riding mower can't handle the taller grass. I thought it would be nice if I could keep an eye on things real time viewing, but your right. A picture would probably work just as well. Like you suggested I think I will double up on the IP cams and record to SD cards as well as using a regular cellular cam that can take a pic now and then. I think I'm going to install IP cams and try and use an old router to power the cams. I hopefully can monitor the cards using my laptop via the router. Thanks for the reply!