Keep losing remote access

Norgreen

n3wb
Reaction score
My BI works well n the network all the time and also off network for a short while and then I lose connection. Any ideas as I rule out a permission or port access issue. Also my PC and router both seem to keep a consistent IP.

Thanks

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Assuming by "on the network' you mean locally or LAN and by "off network" you mean remotely or WAN;
  • Have you made the BI server's LAN IP static?
  • Does your ISP provide you with a static WAN IP? If not, are you using a DDNS when accessing remotely?

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Did you set up remote viewing via UPnP? If so, some routers will remove UPnP rules without adding them back. If you are port forwarding, use port forwarding rules instead of UPnP and make sure your BI machine has a static IP.

+1 on everything that @TonyR said, good info there.

Norgreen

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes to tony for on:eek:ff network. How do I set BI Ip to static.

My external Ip never changes. And I have to go back to BI local and use the network wizard to gain remote access again.

I just use the bi app with the remote Ip + the forwarded port is this the same as ddns?

I do use UPnp and then use the box “ add bi”

Thanks for advice

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes to tony for on:eek:ff network. How do I set BI Ip to static.
It's a matter of going into network settings on the PC, looking at its status to see what was assigned by DHCP, write that down, go into the Ethernet adapter's IPv4 properties, type in that written-down IP, use subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, gateway IP will be your router's LAN IP, primary/preferred DNS will be same as gateway, click on "OK".

If too much, use your google fu to look up how-to change the IP on your particular Windows flavor.

My external Ip never changes. And I have to go back to BI local and use the network wizard to gain remote access again.

I just use the bi app with the remote Ip + the forwarded port is this the same as ddns?
Since your WAN never changes (static) then you don't need DDNS.

I do use UPnp and then use the box “ add bi”
As @Mike stated above, it would be better to disable uPNP in the router and manually forward BI's port to the BI server's static IP.

The BEST scenario would be to avoid port forwarding and set up VPN on a router.