Keeping Cameras on the NVR built in switch.

dudemaar

Known around here
Aug 18, 2018
Canada
Hi, I would like to know if this would work? I have never tried this yet, but don't see why it wouldn't work. I Don't want to link cameras via LAN internet. there is already a existing POE NVR on site and a cat6e cable connecting the 2 areas 350ft.
nvrpoe.jpg

Hook it up and see. maybe bench test it. if it assigns/detects them as 10.1.1.x cameras your golden. not sure how smart the POE are ports on the NVR, but the POE standard should require an acknowledgement handshake about supplying power. see @steve1225 post. he's more concise. the long link will contain 2 data streams and your non POE switch wont automagically seperate them as NVR port#'s. you'd literally have to have each camera carrying it's own physical layer all the way to the NVR port.

Last edited:
Reactions: mat200
OMG...
this will not work...

You can't do 2 parallel ethernet connections between 2 switches (the right one and built-in in NVR). This will create loop and one of them will be blocked. And right switch is not required..

Simply connect left switch to any POE port on NVR. Plug&play network functionality on NVR will not work, so You must manually configure those cams to free IPs in NVR private network segment. Or first connect cams to NVR directly, configure them using plug&play on NVR, move them to switch, probably deleting and adding one more time but in manual mode using theirs IPs given by NVR..

ps. you can also connect this switch to Your private network (your router) and use 192.168.1.xxx ip addresses for those cams..

OMG...
this will not work...

You can't do 2 parallel ethernet connections between 2 switches (the right one and built-in in NVR). This will create loop and one of them will be blocked. And right switch is not required..

Simply connect left switch to any POE port on NVR. Plug&play network functionality on NVR will not work, so You must manually configure those cams to free IPs in NVR private network segment. Or first connect cams to NVR directly, configure them using plug&play on NVR, move them to switch, probably deleting and adding one more time but in manual mode using theirs IPs given by NVR..

ps. you can also connect this switch to Your private network (your router) and use 192.168.1.xxx ip addresses for those cams..
Thanks, that makes more sense lol.

Reactions: mat200
As mentioned at end of @steve1225 's post, assign unique static IP's to cameras and NVR LAN, all in the same subnet and outside of the router's DHCP pool. Don't connect the NON-POE switch to router if you "....Don't want to link cameras via LAN internet."

nvrpoe.jpg

Reactions: mat200 and dudemaar
Hi, I would like to know if this would work? I have never tried this yet, but don't see why it wouldn't work. I Don't want to link cameras via LAN internet. there is already a existing POE NVR on site and a cat6e cable connecting the 2 areas 350ft.
View attachment 202460

Fwiw

Seen posts that switches downstream from the NVR PoE ports does not work on some NVRs .. others can work just need to configure