Keeps Crashing Once a Day

rfj

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My BI v 5.3.2.11 x64 about a couple weeks ago started to crash and average of once a day. There is no particular time or even that I can see that is related to it. I checked the Windows Event Viewer but there is nothing in there related to BI. There were some windows update, i.e. KB5034466, KB5035845 and Servicing Stack 10.0.19041.4163 that happened this month. Any hints why this seems to be happening or what I should check next to troubleshoot?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
One possible reason is not enough "freeboard" on your storage drives and there isn't enough room for BI to record and delete the oldest and it crashes. I would try lowering the amount of storage you give to BI and see if that solves it.

rfj

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thank you! It looks like reducing the allocated space helps. At least I didn't have any crash since I made the change some 30h ago. It's quite a bit of wasted HDD space, though. So now my BI dedicated "18 TB" (really a 16 TBytes drive) HDD only has about 12.7 TBytes available with 2.93 TBytes free. That's almost 20% wasted. Oh well, at least it's not crashing anymore.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, the numbers game on drives is horrible - you don't get the rated capacity and then the freeboard that is needed.

Also make sure that you don't have system restore turned on for that drive - that can "reserve" a large chunk of the hard drive that is unseen to you.

Reactions: rfj