Kids and mobile phones

Pete

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am clocking on and old enough to be granddad, I do have a moby phone, an old Nokia given to me, but I cannot txt on it cuz I don't know how, besides the buttons are ridiculously small and having failing eyesight is not good brain food. I was told that kids these days are so good, that they could text a message while they had the phone in their pocket...Is this correct? Opinions appreciated....However I like playing computer games and I find them impossible to win because my key coordination is just not there... Kids appear to beat down an aggravated beast that I would have to get a cheat for, so it doesn't kill me all the time....What is going on with these game programmers? Can't they machine code spoiler options in games where its up to you to cheat? After all its my money if I want to beat the living crap out of the game sooner than later.

Just a rant really.....Have a nice Xmas peeps to all.

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
pocket texting was once a thing in the days of the nokia candy bar phones (10+ years ago). Pretty tough to do on a touch screen though, so I don't think its a thing anymore.

Pete

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Cheers, I would never be able to have mastered such a thing....I have recently tried on trial period from Virgin Media one of them modern phones...I just couldn't deal with it.
It was nothing like my PC and a whole new different world, like transitioning from My Old Amiga 1200 which I still have..... to a PC overnight....Things are moving far too fast for some of us.
I bought this adapter which allowed me to connect a phone to a set of speakers, so I could hear it ring from another room. Next thing is, one in particular (a 10 inch screen thing) that I paid about 70 British pounds for went dead, and the object has never worked since. I paid out on something called a Fablet or Phablet and that blown a gasket... Don't seem to have any luck with comms unless its by PMs on websites.

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
DECT cordless phone set with Bluetooth that connects to your cell phone.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
im a fast thumb typist if I have a real keyboard; I kinda miss my blackberry.. they were indestructible, I could type up messages without looking at it and it was still primarily just a phone w/good email capabilities.. no apps of any use.

When I was in College laptops weighed 30lbs, so I had a Sharp Zarus that I typed up notes on in realtime, while recording lectures audio and taking pics of the chalkboards with a CF camera.. it was a smartphone w/out a mobile internet connection and I loved it.. then smartphones came out and I hated em haha.

since ive got a touchscreen phone my typing capabilities have been dramatically reduced.. I was one of the last holdouts, only gave up my BB when work decommissioned the BES server and shoved and android in my hands against my will.. oh well I dont pay the phone bill, nor do I use it for apps.. except audiobooks, its a great audiobook player and it does well playing pandroa in my car if I can keep on the interstates.. suppose my only recreational use is as a car media streamer heh, otherwise its an email reader and telephone.

Im not fond of touchscreen interfaces; I think everyone expected em after watching Star Trek TNG and now we use them just because its trendy.. mebe im getting old but I love me some damn buttons.. nothing is more awkward than trying to use a touchscreen attached to a wall, it looks as stupid as it feels and cant be sustained for any time.

dont get me started on fucking auto-rotate hehehe

Last edited:

Keyboard

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Im not fond of touchscreen interfaces; ... nothing is more awkward than trying to use a touchscreen
I'm OK with touchscreen interfaces, but I hate touchscreen keyboards.

This is the phone I have. It's an LG Optimus F3Q (aka LG D520) and has a hidden physical keyboard in addition to the touchscreen keyboard.

LG_F3Q 1.jpg LG_F3Q 2.jpg LG_F3Q 3.jpg LG_F3Q 4.jpg

I love it because it's not too big and I'm not forced to deal with the touchscreen keyboard that I hate. Did I mention it has a real keyboard. What's also nice about it is that the physical keyboard slides out of sight when not needed.

This model is no longer available, and for some reason manufacturers aren't making them with real keyboards anymore.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Touch keyboard or voice dictation. Physical keys on a phone? Extinct. If you need a real keyboard for a phone the best bet is to get a bluetooth one.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Touch keyboard or voice dictation. Physical keys on a phone? Extinct. If you need a real keyboard for a phone the best bet is to get a bluetooth one.
Or use software like pushbullet that lets your use your computer to do things like send sms.

Keyboard

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Or use software like pushbullet that lets your use your computer to do things like send sms.
I'm sure you'll agree that carrying around a computer or bluetooth keyboard is not very practical.

I'm happy with my phone's physical keyboard ... extinct or not!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
oh voice recognition really pisses me off; here is a real scenario that happened when my son was like 2yrs old sitting in the back of my VW:

Me: Call Wife
Son: Mom!
Car: Calling Mom
Me: ABORT!
.... waits a few moments ..
Me: Call Wife
Son: Mom!
Car: Calling Mom
Me: Damnit Son STFU!!!

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Voice dialing definitely works much better when you are alone or are with somebody who understands these things. BTDT with kids and old folks.

As far as a Bluetooth keyboard goes, a little one is an awful lot handier to drag around than my 17 inch desktop replacement laptop, particularly on flights.