Killed my Foscam! Need a replacement

Reaction score
Had a Foscam POS in a room where I need to monitor my parrots (yes petcam). I have had a hate/hate relationship with the Foscam since day 1.

Outdoors I have two SD1A203T-GN that were recommended here and I bought through Andy. Great cams. I think they might be a bit too much for the 10x10 birdroom.

I need IR/PTZ. 3-4x zoom is good. PoE would be nice too as I have the two other Dahua's on that as well. Should I just go with another SD1A203T-GN or is there something better for indoor use?

Thoughts:
https://us.dahuasecurity.com/product/2mp-3x-ir-starlight-ptz/

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Had a Foscam POS in a room where I need to monitor my parrots (yes petcam). I have had a hate/hate relationship with the Foscam since day 1.

Outdoors I have two SD1A203T-GN that were recommended here and I bought through Andy. Great cams. I think they might be a bit too much for the 10x10 birdroom.

I need IR/PTZ. 3-4x zoom is good. PoE would be nice too as I have the two other Dahua's on that as well. Should I just go with another SD1A203T-GN or is there something better for indoor use?

Thoughts:
2MP 3x IR Starlight Mini PTZ – Dahua North America
All around hard to beat cam for that purpose.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If low light video isn't a requirement then those re-branded Hikvision cube cameras are a great deal. If decent low light video is a requirement I'd have to recommend a Dahua Starlight.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't know what that is but Hard Working Andy @EMPIRETECANDY will sell you a Dahua IPC-HDBW4231F-AS Starlight minidome for less than that price.
That's one of Andy's Amazon storefronts. I'm interested in the camera the OP linked to above:

https://us.dahuasecurity.com/product/2mp-3x-ir-starlight-ptz/

But I want to find out if Andy has that exact model. The link I posted is to what looks similar, but found on one of Andy's Amazon storefronts. Of course, I'd like to find that particular model, through Andy, and get his lowest price.

Because the description on Dahua's site in the OP's link mentions that the WDR is great, even for cameras that receive direct sunlight, that part is especially attractive. Where I'd like to mount such a camera, it would be staring into the sun in winter months at least part of the day (looking due south for the most part). Having the sun in the image seems like it would burn the sensor, yet they seem to imply that this camera would be OK with that sort of abuse! :)

Reaction score
That's one of Andy's Amazon storefronts. I'm interested in the camera the OP linked to above:

2MP 3x IR Starlight Mini PTZ – Dahua North America

But I want to find out if Andy has that exact model. The link I posted is to what looks similar, but found on one of Andy's Amazon storefronts. Of course, I'd like to find that particular model, through Andy, and get his lowest price.

Because the description on Dahua's site in the OP's link mentions that the WDR is great, even for cameras that receive direct sunlight, that part is especially attractive. Where I'd like to mount such a camera, it would be staring into the sun in winter months at least part of the day (looking due south for the most part). Having the sun in the image seems like it would burn the sensor, yet they seem to imply that this camera would be OK with that sort of abuse! :)

Yes, Andy has that camera. I just bought it today for $174 (with power adapter). Dahua model: SD1A203T-GN

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, Andy has that camera. I just bought it today for $174 (with power adapter). Dahua model: SD1A203T-GN
That looks to be the same one on Andy's Amazon site. $179.99 but with free shipping. I can't tell if it comes with the power adaptor or not.

On Andy's AliExpress site, the camera is showing up for $169.09, but I think that's for the camera alone. I'll be running it by POE, so won't need the adaptor, but I'd probably buy an adaptor just to have one around for testing these cameras if it's only going to cost an extra $5. :)

OK, now I'm sorely tempted!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That looks to be the same one on Andy's Amazon site. $179.99 but with free shipping. I can't tell if it comes with the power adaptor or not.

On Andy's AliExpress site, the camera is showing up for $169.09, but I think that's for the camera alone. I'll be running it by POE, so won't need the adaptor, but I'd probably buy an adaptor just to have one around for testing these cameras if it's only going to cost an extra $5. :)

OK, now I'm sorely tempted!
Review-Dahua SD1A203T-GN Starlight Mini PTZ
It's POE, no adapter comes with.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm tempted to get one of these Dahua SD1A203T-GN Starlight Mini PTZcameras to use as sort of a fancy "doorbell" cam. At least, that would be the kind of placement I want.

The PTZ would make it good for looking around the area and seeing if packages had been left on the porch, etc. And the low "doorbell placement" would make it good for identifying people at, or approaching, the door.

But the location would leave the camera staring into the sun much of the time because our front door faces due south.

Re-reading the advertising writeup linked to above, the wording describing the WDR doesn't necessarily mean that the camera itself is exposed to direct sunlight. Instead, they may simply be referring to the large dynamic range that we always get in a scene between deep shadows versus the directly-illuminated areas when a scene is lit by direct sunlight.

My concern, with any of these cameras, is that having the sun in the image for long periods will fry the sensor the same way anything but brief exposure this way will ruin the sensor in a normal photographic camera.

Trying this would be a rather expensive experiment.

With normal DSLRs and MILCs, you dare not aim them at the sun for any extended length of time. Newer lenses even move to close-focus and closed apertures when you remove power from them just to reduce the potential that someone will accidentally fry their camera by leaving it sitting where the sun will end up in its field of view.

Has anyone done this sort of mounting with one of these cameras? And if so, how did it fare after years of this direct sun viewing?

This seems like it would happen all of the time. Mounting a camera so it is looking to the south can't be all that uncommon. What happens when you do it, though?

Are these sensors protected somehow? I can't be the only person who burned things or lit fireworks with a magnifying glass when I was a kid! And I can assure you that a 50mm f/1.8 camera lens will also set fire to things quite handily.

Even though the security cam lenses are smaller due to the smaller sensors being used, those tiny, super-sensitive photosites on a Starlight sensor IC will really be experiencing some heat and intense radiation as the sun works it's way across the sky (and its in-focus image works it's way across the sensor) when the camera is placed the way I want to have it placed.

What say you who have ever mounted a security cam this way? And especially: How does this particular one handle this abuse?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Possibly not in the same ball park, but I've had an Axis 211a on my roof pointed south, for going on 10 years. I bought it used from a guy that had it on his roof for 3 years. It seems no worse for wear.
Again, this probably isn't an apples to apples comparison.
Taken a moment ago.
It's in a protection box with heater and fan like this. The most I can see over time that has deteriorated is the glass in the front of the housing.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
Possibly not in the same ball park, but I've had an Axis 211a on my roof pointed south, for going on 10 years. I bought it used from a guy that had it on his roof for 3 years. It seems no worse for wear.
Again, this probably isn't an apples to apples comparison.
Taken a moment ago.
It's in a protection box with heater and fan like this. The most I can see over time that has deteriorated is the glass in the front of the housing.

Well, its at least encouraging to know that some of these cameras can withstand this sort of placement and aim. This is exactly the sort of experience with this that I was looking for! Thanks, looney!