Kinda lost...could use some help choosing the right camera

vaeyo

n3wb
Reaction score
First off want to say thank you. Between this site and Andy we just finished an indoor setup at our restaurant and everything is great.

Wed like to do a camera setup at our horse arena now but I am beyond confused when it comes to picking the two cameras we need. So far in all my research this is what Ive come up with.

The first camera would like to be ptz. At night going to have it switch to the position shown in the picture. Im getting hung up on the fact that the driveway/entrance is 300-350' away. Will a camera be able to pick up motion that far in the dark then zoom in for facial recognition?

The second camera is covering the inside of the arena and is purely for day time use while someone is riding in the arena, in case of accidents, etc. Im struggling with this one also because just like the first camera its almost 300' to the other side. We would just like to be able to see whats going on at the other end as clearly as possible.

Have another spare PC so will most likely do another dedicated blue iris pc.

Budget is ~$2000 for both cameras.

Here is an ipvm calculator pic. Ive been plugging the 2mp 25x/30x/45x and 4mp 30x starlight cameras Andy has into the calculator but I still have no idea what Im doing.

Appreciate any help or input you can provide me.

pinko

Known around here
Reaction score
I've got a SD6AE240V-HNI From Andy. It's an Ultra Series with 40x zoom/ 2MP starlight and auto tracking.
The quality of the images at night are among the best you will find @ ~$1000 USD.
I get really good images at my front gate around 380ft from mounting position of camera.
I'm sure there are others that fit the bill, but this one seem like a good fit for camera1.

usaf_pride

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Is the purpose of camera #1 to record people entering the road at night?

vaeyo

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you pinko. Will take a look at that one.

And yes USAF, to the cover the road and to cover the equipment in the left corner of the FoV in the picture if possible. We had a truck stolen from there about a month ago. Just concerned that someone might get dropped off on the highway above the driveway and walk down off the road.

pinko

Known around here
Reaction score
The SD6AE240V-HNI will cover the equipment and drive easily.
If you buy two of the suggested cameras then Camera #2 mounted in the right postion it could also cover those areas and the arena.

The camera's would work together, one camera could call the other camera if motion is detected and you could for example send them to a preset and track them all over your property. :)

Last edited: