Lag during playback - exported clips are fine

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've got a Core i5-4690K @ 3.5Ghz, 16 GB ram, 250GB SSD startup drive, 4TB WD purple primary recording drive.
I'm running 13 cameras (2 old wifi samsungs, 10 Dahua 2mp starlights, 1 old hikvision).
I recently bumped all the Starlights up to 8192k max bitrate. Windows reports ~50-75 Mbps incoming data.
CPU runs at 44% for BI alone.
My BI database is on the WD purple.

When playing back clips from alerts I find that playback video and audio will stutter considerably. If I pause and wait a bit, it'll usually play back cleanly.

It feels like the HDD should be able to handle this. Some thoughts I have:
- CPU limitation - playback of clps can push the system over 70% CPU usage.
- Disk IO limitation for clip playback - I wouldn't have thought this would be an issue since I'm nowhere near the limit for what the WD purples can handle
- Disk IO limitation for BI database - having the DB on the WD purple is perhaps not best best?

Curious if anyone has any thoughts?

nejakejnick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not that it should matter in your case, but there is no reason to not have the DB on the SSD.

You could try to move one clip to the SSD (as AUX folder) and then play it back, then you would see if it is because of your HDD.

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Not that it should matter in your case, but there is no reason to not have the DB on the SSD.

You could try to move one clip to the SSD (as AUX folder) and then play it back, then you would see if it is because of your HDD.
Playback of old clips which have been moved to a drive which isn't where the active recordings are taking place seems to be pretty smooth. But then this is intermittent I find.
I'll try moving the BI database onto the SSD. I'm going to have to shuffle everything around when I put in a new drive anyways.