Lagging and quality issues

Coleiro88

n3wb
Reaction score
IMG_2460.PNG hi,

I'm sure this has been covered elsewhere in the forum but hopefully someone can help.

I have 6 hikvision cams with an nvr.

4 x ds-2cd2042wd-I
2 x ds - 2cd2342wd-I

I recently upgraded the firmware on all of them to the most recent one. All is working fine.

I tried changing the settings on the cameras to improve the quality. I've done this through the browser when connected remotely (see attached picture), as well as when I connect to the indivudal cameras directly.

My problem is that when I change the quality to 1080p and the frame rate to max etc and have them on main stream, to improve the quality, I have problems connecting remotely via iVMS-4500 (can only get it to work when connected locally). When I connect outside my local connection I can only get the sub stream to show live view. When I change the resolution to 720p main stream (clear) works but there is lagging issues (see attached picture - the car is blurry)

Obviously settings are not the same for everyone but any suggestions would be appreciated for what I'm doing wrong or can change to get it to work better.

Thanks!

Attachments

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
your internet upload speeds are inadequate for the main streams remotely, just use the substream.. thats what its for, so you can record high quality and have a low resolution stream appropriate for limited bandwidth connections.

Your internet downloads are several times faster than your upload speeds... TestMy.net Broadband Internet Speed Test

Coleiro88

n3wb
Reaction score
your internet upload speeds are inadequate for the main streams remotely, just use the substream.. thats what its for, so you can record high quality and have a low resolution stream appropriate for limited bandwidth connections.

Your internet downloads are several times faster than your upload speeds... TestMy.net Broadband Internet Speed Test
That makes sense. Thanks for that. Do I simply change it to the sub stream on the drop down menu (in the attached picture), but put back up the resolution to 1080p or leave it as is - on 720?).

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
leave your main stream on 1080p high quality, then configure the substream for a bitrate that fits within your upload speeds.. if you want to open multiple substreams at same time remotely then they all have to fit within your upload speeds combined..

Coleiro88

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you. I'll try that and see how I go. Regardless of what I see on the live stream with these settings, the recording quality should still be at whatever resolution I set it to on the nvr itself. Is that correct? Or do the changes I make to the individual cameras affect the recording quality?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the changes you make on the cameras effects the recording quality; any quality settings you set on NVR just results in NVR setting them directly on the camera.

Coleiro88

n3wb
Reaction score
IMG_2462.JPG
the changes you make on the cameras effects the recording quality; any quality settings you set on NVR just results in NVR setting them directly on the camera.
I left it on main stream and left it at 1080p. On the live view on the iVMS-4500 app I changed the jndividual cam to sub stream and changed the citrate to match my upload speed. Whilst the lag wasn't as bad as before it is still noticeable. Is there anything else I can do?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
subtract ~10-15% from your upload speeds and set bitrate to that; you needa room for overhead.. also try enabling VBR on substream.

Coleiro88

n3wb
Reaction score
subtract ~10-15% from your upload speeds and set bitrate to that; you needa room for overhead.. also try enabling VBR on substream.
I'll have to play around with it. When I set the camera in the menu (pictured above), and leave it on mainstream 1080p with variable enabled and the bitrate set to new rate, and then configure the substream through the app itself, it is still blurry