laggy when trying to playback/scrub video

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I will have this issue when trying to scrub or even playing back videos where it lags. It doesn't happen all the time.

It is very random that I don't know what could cause it - after the lag it sometimes works and other times it will just continue to be laggy.

Does anyone know what would cause this?

I use to record on older 4tb purple and then i started to record on 10tb new purple drive - no difference.

These are new videos on 10tb not older ones (just recorded)

when I reset blue iris it sometimes works but then eventually does the same thing. It feels random to when it will happen so I don't know if it is the computer or BI causing it.

this happens with all updates - i am on 5.4.9.18 because when i switch to the new updates the padding on the camera name (color coded part) becomes too big. A separate issue I need to look into. So I stayed at 5.4.9.18 for now

Reaction score
what are the computer specs?
are you using substreams?
some newer versions of BI can aggravate intel quick sync hardware acceleration. you could try taking some of the cams off hardware acceleration.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
what are the computer specs?
are you using substreams?
some newer versions of BI can aggravate intel quick sync hardware acceleration. you could try taking some of the cams off hardware acceleration.
i5 8500
16gb

main streams

hardware decode is intel

thanks

wittaj

Known around here
Reaction score
Use the substream option. Playing back mainstreams is a CPU hog.

Do every optimization in the wiki and you won't have a problem:

Reaction score
Playback improves when cams are displaying substreams in the Console.
I also split my cams (2/3-1/3)across 2 hard drives to further improve performance.
playback may also improve if you try removing 50% of the cams off Intel Quick Sync.
im running 17 cams on my i5-8500 with 24 GB ram. An 8 TB WD purp and some refurbed WD 5 TB green or Blue.