Lamp post mounted hidden camera?

mrvelous01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Has anyone seen or created a lamp post with a camera inside? I would really like to have a view of the front of my house "from the street". My recent hare-brained idea was to sink a 10 foot long 4x4 into the front lawn, mount a small POE camera on the post facing the house, then cover it with a "sleeve" (a hollow Trex 8 foot 6"x6" post). I would drill a hole in the Trex sleeve and align it with the camera, then top the post with a solar lamp. Any thoughts on this? Any suggestions for cameras small enough to fit inside?

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Has anyone seen or created a lamp post with a camera inside? I would really like to have a view of the front of my house "from the street". My recent hare-brained idea was to sink a 10 foot long 4x4 into the front lawn, mount a small POE camera on the post facing the house, then cover it with a "sleeve" (a hollow Trex 8 foot 6"x6" post). I would drill a hole in the Trex sleeve and align it with the camera, then top the post with a solar lamp. Any thoughts on this? Any suggestions for cameras small enough to fit inside?
I've been using the previous model like this one for covert installations for a little while: 2 MP Covert Network Camera Going this route avoids the need to take a camera apart and exposing its key electronics to extreme heat & cold. It also enables you to install them into smaller physical spaces from rocks, brick, lighting fixtures, walls, doors, etc.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Where do you find one for purchase?
Not sure if you're posing this question to me? :thumbdown:

But, purchased four units from one of the on line vendors on blow out sale for $95.XX each. Three came with the L30 (cylinder) lens and the forth came with the L20 flush mount lens assembly. All of them are the older generation (2 MP) which I believe were EOL as they transitioned to the newer 2 MP sensor a few years ago. I purchased these specifically as they used the newer style of RJ11 cable vs what I believe was some kind of barrel style?!? :wtf:

I've been waiting for the ground to thaw out and build a brick wall under the front bay window as a combination flower bed, accent lighting, and this bird house. Three cameras will be installed in the bird house all with different lens from 1/1.8", 1/2.5", with 2.8 ~ 6.0 mm focal length and settings for Day Only, Auto, IR Only. The Day Only (1/1,8" will offer full time night time color)

The Auto camera will be one of the Bi-Spectrum dome cameras which will transition from Day to Night if required . . . The thermal will pick up what ever this camera can't see in Day vs Night using IR. The IR only camera will be scheduled from a very specific window of time to remain in IR mode. As this spot is very difficult to render good video as the environment has a whole bunch of artificial, natural, lighting that's been hard to dial in for just a single camera.

Right now, I'm waiting for 1000 foot reel of CAT6A Direct Burial double shielded cable, four sets of armored 300' of 50/125 OM3 Multimode LC / LC optical cable, and two GB 6 port POE+ / SFP hardened switches. Had to break down and buy a mattock pick as I'll need to trench all told 900+ feet of conduit / cable. :facepalm: All of these ground mounted cameras will be running on a completely dedicated (isolated) PtP solar powered network that was put into production last year. Obviously given the massive runs fiber / shield CAT6A was the only choice to guard against electrical surges and lightning (induced EMF).

Still waiting this bird house to arrive and will need to see what has to be done to winterize the entire housing so it doesn't crumble and explode in the Canadian Arctic weather! :lmao:

Attachments

Reaction score

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Wow, I am impressed with your setup! 900 foot of trenching!
In the ideal world if I could use a Ditch Witch to dig the trench that would've been fantastic! Since the lines are being dug around the perimeter of the foundation of the home a hand pick is the only way to trench. :embarrassed: Trenching in clay is truly back breaking especially if you need to be at 24" in depth while the ground is frozen solid like steel. :facepalm: