"LAN Only" / OpenVPN access

nomad3

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all - thanks in advance. Pretty new to all of this so likely a boneheaded mistake. But making progress with some help from people here.

I have an ASUS router with OpenVPN setup but struggling to connect while away from home LAN without disabling "LAN Only" on users tab.

At home - I can connect to BI mobile app and UI3. I know my OpenVPN working correctly as I can see it connected on ASUS GUI and also on a laptop I can see the other things on my network (BI desktop, Sonos, etc.).

However, unless I toggle "LAN Only" off I cannot access BI mobile app with OpenVPN running while trying to access outside my home / LAN.

I then started messing around with port forwarding rules on ASUS (flashed Merlin) as it seemed to me the likely culprit was that the BI desktop was not reading the android/device as being on the LAN even though I was OpenVPN'd in. However, then I was able to connect to BI mobile app openly without OpenVPN running. So took 3 steps back there...

So I turned port forwarding off and now only able to connect to BI mobile app with OpenVPN running but "LAN only" has to be unchecked. Seems more secure than the above alternative.

I am going to keep playing with the ASUS router settings but my question is in the meantime, is is safe enough to keep "LAN only" unchecked (port forwarding is off) or am I negating everything by doing this.

Second question - if anyone has any pointers on how to fix this would appreciate it. Starting to run out of things to change.

thanks all

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
ALSO HAVE AN asus router.

There is a problem with the asus router in the order that it does things. With OpenVPN you are suppose to be 100% on the local network. But in some cases this is not true. For example if you block a MAC address from internet access it is not viewable with OpenVPN remotely, but it does work on the LAN.