LAN Setup preventing IP Cam traffic??

wilderbee

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have just installed a new IP Camera/NVR and am having some sort of networking issue that is driving me NUTS. If anyone could comment I would greatly appreciate it.

NVR: DS-7604NI-EV1/4P

Camera: DS-2CD2132F-IWS

The system is setup as follows:

IP Camera-->(wireless-->Wireless Router in Office-->(Ethernet cable)-->ISP Router.

When I try to view the camera feed through the web GUI on the NVR, I get black screen when viewing high quality main stream. When I select sub stream, it is VERY choppy and slow. The menus are also very slow to load and navigate. The same when I go to the GUI of the camera (even worse). I would blame this issue on the wireless signal to the camera, but when I view the video feed on Hik-connect/ezviz it is perfect! (even when I turn the quality up to ‘clear’).

When I connect my laptop to the wireless signal from the ISP router, I can only see the camera IP show up in SADP. When I connect my laptop to the wireless signal coming from the wireless router in the office (“extender”, different SSID) I can see both the NVR and Camera in SADP?!?!

I feel like there is some setting in one of the wireless routers that is making communication on the LAN almost impossible?

Any comments of what to try would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Reaction score
Check that your MTU value is set to 1492 or less on the camera and the wireless router. Otherwise, packet fragmentation will result.

copex

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
try the camera using a cable ;-)

how is the wireless router connected to the ISP router as what ports is the cable connected too?

wilderbee

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
try the camera using a cable ;-)

how is the wireless router connected to the ISP router as what ports is the cable connected too?
So, I think you are going down the right path. This is at a friends house who I am doing this for and I am going to investigate the network setup more this Saturday.

The wireless router is actually a Netgear EX6200 "extender" (that can extend a network by connecting to the current one wirelessly, OR via hardline).

So I have:

Wireless Camera --> Netgear --> D-Link Gigabit Switch --> ISP Router

I will find out Saturday how the Netgear extender is connected to the ISP. From memory, they may have connected it wirelessly, and then ALSO plugged in a harline to the D-Link. (which I'm sure couldn't be helping, having that thing hooked up two different methods to the ISP).

I will report back. Could be pictures of this EX6200 extender smashed to pieces...

wilderbee

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Check that your MTU value is set to 1492 or less on the camera and the wireless router. Otherwise, packet fragmentation will result.
I will also give this a try if my networking setup changes don't work. Is this common? Seems like 1500 is the stock standard when I google it?

truglo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The dual wireless + hardline connections could create a broadcast storm if they're on the same subnet (probably are). It also sounds like a wireless repeater is involved. That takes a big whack at bandwidth. Then, there's the wireless camera. You picked a very steep hill to climb! Good luck

wilderbee

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So it turns out the only problem was the camera was set at too high of a resolution. I turned it down to 1080p and everything started flowing. I am guessing that the higher resolution it was on (can't remember what it was now) is only intended when the camera is hard-wired?? The 2.4Ghz connection on this camera just couldn't handle it. Hikvision cameras at the moment are only 2.4Ghz on the wireless.

truglo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Did you verify if the netgear device was hardwired or wifi to the dlink device? If it is WiFi, going hardwired there may improve bamdwidth.

wilderbee

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I did. It was setup hardwired. So the camera only had the one wireless hop. I will avoid wireless cameras at all costs, but this one there was no other option unfortunately.

truglo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well you gotta do what you gotta do. If you don't mind me asking, what bitrates were involved before (at 4k I'm guessing?), and now at 1080p? If it's handling an 8kbit h264 stream, there are plenty of good cams available... even 4kbit would be ok for h265.

How about WiFi signal (g/n, XXdb)?

Not that it changes the install you're working with, but I think it would be good for folks to get an idea of what can/can't be done reliably over wifi.

Kev

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The network doesn't know or care anything about the resolution of the video. The only video encoding setting that affects the network requirements is the bit rate.

Also, 8 Mbps or 8000 Kbps would be the proper term, certainly not "8kbit" ;)

wilderbee

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am going to login to this system in the next few days and I'll take not of all settings now. (and what it was before). I THINK all I changed was the resolution and then it started working, but this doesn't really jive with that bp2008 is saying. I will get back soon.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
On Dahua cameras changing the resolution can change the bit rate as well. Not sure about Hikvision.

Also if you encode in VBR mode then lower resolution would affect the actual produced bit rate.

wilderbee

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am only familiar with Hikvision, but I know when I lowered the resolution the bit rate didn't move. I have to move the bit rate manually.