Laptop or Desktop? BI setup 101 question:

Wen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm in the process of moving our security system from the Astak software to the latest version of B.I. Its been suggested that the BI software should be on a system that's hardwired, not wirelessly networked. Also I understand that unlike Astaks software, the BI has to reside on a computer that's up and running.

I have a desktop computer here at our residence that's on 24/7 and is hardwired to the internet. So if I move my BI software from my laptop to the desktop will the Webserver app. allow me to access the BI software on the desktop from my laptop?

I don't want to have to go downstairs to the office desktop system to tweak a BI setting.

Thanks in advance.

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Blue Iris doesn't have built in remote management, or remote access to the Blue Iris console, but I have 2 BI servers I manage remotely, one in our primary home, and the second at our home in the mountains. I use TeamViewer to take remote control of the servers and run the BI console.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@digger11 has it right. Nothing on the BI console is accessible unless you have a way to remote manage the BI machine. I too use TeamViewer for remote management.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks. So when I read the help file it seems like Web Server is the cats meow. Web Server won't work for this use? Thanks in advance.

The Web Server

The Blue Iris Web Server feature allows you to create a LAN and/or Internet home page right on your own PC. You can use this server to v
The Blue Iris Web Server feature allows you to create a LAN and/or Internet home page right on your own PC. You can use this server to view your cameras and recordings from another PC in your home or office, or from anywhere in the world. When you first install Blue Iris, the web server is enabled, and is configured for local network (Intranet) use. Click the Globe toolbar icon to open the Remote Access Wizard to assist you with the configuration of your firewall, router and client apps. Shift-click this icon to view your home page in your default Internet browser (e.g. Internet Explorer).
iew your cameras and recordings from another PC in your home or office, or from anywhere in the world.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The web server only allows for you to VIEW the content on your BI server, not make changes to any BI settings.

Reactions: Wen

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The web server gives you the ability to access the live camera feeds, and to play back recorded video. It can also gives the ability to remotely control a supported PTZ camera. It does not give remote access to the BI console application, which is the interface you use to add/remove cameras, set scheduling and profiles, and tweak any/all of the BI settings.

Reactions: Wen

Wen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!! So I'm thinking that Teamviewer is in my future. Any suggestions or input? I just need access here on the LAN.

Thanks in advance.... I appreciate your help.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can always do remote desktop if they are both Windows machines. And there are a TON of applications one could install if that doesn't work for you.

Wen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
They're both Window machines. The laptop is Windows 7, and the desktop is Windows xp. I'm Googling "Remote Desktop" now. THanks.

aaronwt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Try the "Google Remote Desktop". This is what I use to access my Windows systems. As well as the machine I run BI4 on. It's free and works very well. And I can also use my Android cell phone and tablets to access the PCs with "Google Remote Desktop" too.

Wen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I couldn't get remote desktop to connect, even with the ip address of the downstairs networked desktop. I did get Teamviewer to connect. Pretty amazing software.

I will hammer some more on Windows Remote Desktop when I get more time.

I'm going to move over BI to the old desktop tomorrow.

Appreciate your input.

rgunner

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip on Chrome Remote Desktop! I've been using teamviewer and this will suite my needs just as easily without having to take advantage of the free version of teamviewer "fair play."

:victorious:

Wen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm also running Google Remote Desktop. Seems to be lighter on the remote CPU, nice.

Reaction score
I have Blue Iris installed on a laptop, it's inside my "communications cupboard" with the DVR, alarm panel, modem and network switch. I have Team Vewier installed and will remote connect the the laptop for any changes that need made.

I have a reed switch, and PIR inside the communications cupboard, along with a CCTV camera. Completely tamper proof ;)