Laptops...

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Duh, shows you how old and out of touch with technology I am :facepalm:
Brother I am with you. When I found out they are removing Ethernet port because they were too tall :), just to go slimmer I was stunned. What do you gain from a slimmer laptop, weight? Still the same screen size/dimensions. My 5 pound laptop is light weight to me compared to others I have had. My 2nd Gen. MSI, which I still have and works fine, weighs 8 pounds LOL

Of course this is the world we live in now:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So I will let you search Newegg :) :

Newegg is where I found my deal. Sign up for their Promo email, I see great deals all the time, but the Shell Shockers go fast...Also found their Business site is cheaper on certain items...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Man I’d jump on that last one in a heartbeat but not having an Ethernet port kinda sucks. I frequently use mine to go to a few remote locations and plug into the NVR PoE to get a 10.1.1.x IP and connect to cameras for instance.

I am strongly leaning towards this one:

It includes a geForce mx350 graphics card.... priced at 799, and hits all the other major items I wanted. touch screen, 16 gb, 512 ssd, i7-11th, 1080. there are some advantages to buying electronics from Costco as well.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I bought a 13.3" 2in1 HP Envy X360 laptop about 17 months ago. It is the first 13" laptop I've ever had. Previously I've always had 15.6" or 17" laptops. It's also the first 2in1 machine that I've owned. I have to say that I love the 13" size. It is so much smaller and lighter to carry around. I thought I might miss the extra screen size that the larger machines offer. But the truth is that if I am working at a desk I'll use an external screen keyboard, etc to get the full "desktop" experience which is better than using a laptop keyboard/screen anyway.. However when I am having to travel or carry around the laptop, the smaller size and weight difference is MASSIVE. I'm much more likely to grab the laptop when I'm just sitting around because it is so small and light. Honestly I will never go back to a 15.6" screen or larger laptop after having a smaller one. The benefits of the smaller machine far outweigh any negatives.

Added to that, I actually like the 2in1 form factor. It does cost more and it adds a little weight compared to other 13-14" models, but the flexibility it brings is awesome. I have a specific use case where I needed the 2in1 in leu of a tablet and it works great for that functionality. However it is also just as handy to set up clamshell while laying on the couch or the bed and I can ensure the cooling vents (which are on the bottom of the machine) are turned up so that they aren't blocked. It's basically like a tablet with its own built in adjustable stand and I use it as such a lot more often than I thought I would to view media content.

The drawback to the smaller 13" size is that a lot of things like memory isn't interchangeable. So you better make sure you get the amount of RAM and perhaps the wireless card you want in it when you order it. Also, pay close attention to screen brightness (NITS) and read some real world reviews that test the actual screen NIT value to see if it lives up to the manufactures claims (spoiler alert - many do not - especially on the lower nit machines). My 2in1 has a 400nit screen that is just barely useable outside in bright sun. It's fine indoors (in fact I have it turned down to the min nits about 60% of the time), but if you expect to be outside you probably want a 500nit or 1000nit screen.

Last edited:

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah, some of my first laptops were 15" and cumbersome. 14" is the largest I'll accept now, but prefer even 13.3". I've had as small as 12.5", which is about the smallest you can get with a "full-size" keyboard.

I have no use for touching my screen. Takes way more effort than slightly moving a finger on a touch pad, and leaves a greasy mess. As far as I know, touch screens are always gloss, and I prefer matte to keep glare down.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am strongly leaning towards this one:

It includes a geForce mx350 graphics card.... priced at 799, and hits all the other major items I wanted. touch screen, 16 gb, 512 ssd, i7-11th, 1080. there are some advantages to buying electronics from Costco as well.
When you compare specs for the same price you may want to look at this 8 core compared to the HP 4 core Proc. This MSI also has an Ethernet Port and a faster Graphics Card...

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Reaction score
When you compare specs for the same price you may want to look at this 8 core compared to the HP 4 core Proc. This MSI also has an Ethernet Port and a faster Graphics Card...

Daaaaaaaaaaaammmm That looks good! I wonder how long it takes to get that $100 rebate out of 'em? I have 14 hours to take the deal or not.....

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Daaaaaaaaaaaammmm That looks good! I wonder how long it takes to get that $100 rebate out of 'em? I have 14 hours to take the deal or not.....
So my MSI came with same $100 rebate, I ordered mine on Feb. 16, did the rebate a week later, still waiting, only been about a month now...Oh, this Rebate you can do all online, no mailing UPC, pretty kewl...I even called them to make sure so no delays. You just take pic of UPC and upload it...

1649178458418.png

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a 2yr old Acer, 15.5 1080p screen, Core I3 8th gen, came with 8g ram, I added 4 more, 240gb SSD, backlit keyboard. Great battery life, 7-8hrs worth. Good looking screen.
Keypad letters are still like new.
It's my daily IPCAMTALK.com, email, general surfing, setting up cams, watching videos machine.
I have no complaints with it. Been rock solid. Boots in 11 seconds.
I paid something like $380 or so.

Windows S mode takes 5 minutes to unlock to full windows.

Reaction score
I have a 2yr old Acer, 15.5 1080p screen, Core I3 8th gen, came with 8g ram, I added 4 more, 240gb SSD, backlit keyboard. Great battery life, 7-8hrs worth. Good looking screen.
Keypad letters are still like new.
It's my daily IPCAMTALK.com, email, general surfing, setting up cams, watching videos machine.
I have no complaints with it. Been rock solid. Boots in 11 seconds.
I paid something like $380 or so.

Windows S mode takes 5 minutes to unlock to full windows.
I keep going back and forth between going Very inexpensive, or getting some of the bells & whistles.... That MSI seems pretty damn sweet--- and I probably don't need a touch screen.... but I could probably do 80% to 90% of what I want on a computer 1/2 the cost....

Reaction score
So my MSI came with same $100 rebate, I ordered mine on Feb. 16, did the rebate a week later, still waiting, only been about a month now...Oh, this Rebate you can do all online, no mailing UPC, pretty kewl...I even called them to make sure so no delays. You just take pic of UPC and upload it...

View attachment 124460
Hmmmmm..... look at this Open-Box item...

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hmmmmm..... look at this Open-Box item...

Gigabyte is new in the laptop business, not saying anything bad but just sharing. They have rose to the top in their motherboard lineups, putting them at number one for Gamers. I have had several of their Video Cards, all good. I looked at their laptops in my search too.

Only thing that stands out is the i5, it's a 6 core Proc. Me personally, I would try to get an i7 in your price range or a Ryzen 7 5000 series. When i did my search, the 11800H and the 5800H were my search Procs...

I am very impressed with my i7-11800H

Oh here is 3050 vs 3050 Ti comparison:

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here is an example of a Business laptop, nice but no graphics card and in the same price range as the 3050 laptops.

I am telling you, there is a big difference in having a graphics...both desktop and laptop...

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry, I am sure I am overwhelming you, I know I was doing it to myself in my searches :) I over-research things, kind a like how I ended up here on IPCAMTALK, I love it here though, I am still very much a novice when it comes to CAMs.
One day I got the Newegg deal I have been waiting for sent to me and I ran to grab my Credit Card, well actually paid via PayPal :) same will happen to you, let the laptop come to you, LOL...

To be honest I have enjoyed looking again...

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I wish I could find the thread again where someone posted here a site someone posted here a site that had NUCs for sale for like $40ish. With all the other accessories I have floating around, I think that could make a great little spare computer.