Laptops...

rikyric89

n3wb
Reaction score
Well.... I took my time and looked at a lot of them, and I finally bought a laptop... That Lenovo Ryzen with16gb and the RTX3050.... It just was the best deal out of the 1.6 million GD different laptops I looked at.
Exactly which model you have purchased and model price? Recently, I have taken the decision to buy a gaming laptop by replacing my old pc. So, I have already checked out some good devices from Asus, Lenovo, and acer but I'm in confusion about which one should I take. I couldn't decide yet because I don't have enough knowledge in this area. Most likely I would love to go with this spec's

Specification:

Processor: Ryzen 7, 9

Display: FHD / OLED

Storage: At least 1 TB

RAM: At least 16 GB

Graphics: Nvidia GeForce Rrtx 2060 or RTX 3050

In some research I have found a series which is acer nitro 5, which is also called budget king the problem is price justification. Is this site providing nitro 5 legal price, caused I have faced some issues on price with our country reseller, they're asking too much price than the official price. Should take from here, I am seeking this advice

I have already posted on some gaming and pc communities. But still, I didn't get any good suggestions about this price.

Also suggest me if has any model which are provides best specs compare to acer nitro 5

Hope I will receive my best suggestions from ipcamtalk community. Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Reaction score
Exactly which model you have purchased and model price? Recently, I have taken the decision to buy a gaming laptop by replacing my old pc. So, I have already checked out some good devices from Asus, Lenovo, and acer but I'm in confusion about which one should I take. I couldn't decide yet because I don't have enough knowledge in this area. Most likely I would love to go with this spec's

Specification:

In some research I have found a series which is acer nitro 5, which is also called budget king the problem is price justification. Is this site providing nitro 5 legal price, caused I have faced some issues on price with our country reseller, they're asking too much price than the official price. Should take from here, I am seeking this advice

I have already posted on some gaming and pc communities. But still, I didn't get any good suggestions about this price.

Also suggest me if has any model which are provides best specs compare to acer nitro 5

Hope I will receive my best suggestions from ipcamtalk community. Thanks in advance
the one I bought was linked in another post---

it has been a good performer--
Battery life is low-- maybe 2 hours maximum doing very basic tasks, but this laptop is really meant to run plugged in to give full power to that video card.
Hardware, hinge feel, keyboard, backlighting all feel and look great.
The screen is something that could be SLIGHTLY brighter. At its brightest setting, it seems like it should be a little more. Not a big issue unless you're trying to do something in full sunlight-- not likely.

Hope that helps a little-- looking at specs is tedious and time-consuming-- Good Luck!

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Specification:

I have had good luck with MSI gaming laptops...be sure and see if the laptop you are looking at can be upgraded and the memory or SSD is not soldered, that is if you ever want to go with bigger storage or increase memory. I would look up the model you are looking at on YouTube to see someone else taking it apart.
Also be aware of the dumbing down of laptop video cards, the manufactures are limiting the power on the video cards which will give you half the performance in most cases. Best way to tell id specs do not mention video card power is the size of the power brick it comes with. My MSI has a 180 Watt big power brick which is needed for my 3070 card.

From what you have listed for specs, here in the US, you should be able to get a laptop for about $1,000-$1,200 US dollars. You did not mention your screen size but I put in your specs, did include Intel processor too. I would try to stay with an 8 core proc, IMO...

HTH

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm not in favor of water-cooled systems. Noctua air-cooled systems all the way. The fans are loud but only when under pressure :rofl:

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Dell service has been the best in my experience. HP the worst. Lenovo might be in-between.

Main thing is to avoid consumer level (Inspiron) laptops unless you're ok replacing them every 2-3 years, because they won't hold up. Business class (Vostro is entry level business class) are built stronger but cost more. That's probably true regardless of brand.

Since I have a work laptop (Dell Latitude), I don't have a lot of use for a personal one. For that reason, I bought a cheapo $280 HP with an i5 Intel chip. Every Black Friday, Costco has a super deal on HPs. Doesn't have a touchscreen (I hate people touching my screen), but has an SSD, backlit keyboard, and a surprisingly nice display for the price. I don't expect it to last more than a few years, which is fine because I'll just buy another Black Friday laptop to replace it.

NickTheGreat

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My work machine is an MSI laptop. Some sort of gaming rig. It's okay, and I think most of my issues are software/driver related, due to an IT dept.

My personal laptop is a Surface Laptop. (My wife uses a regular surface). I really like it, since it's small and light. And goes for ages on the battery. Not a real high-horsepower machine, but I'm mostly doing light web traffic on it.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
My first laptop was a Macbook Pro 15" with an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU, followed by a Lenovo R61 (built like a tank) with Core 2 Duo as well. Both lasted reasonable well, exceeding 4 years in day to day use.

I've had some pretty good luck with Inspiron laptops. Used to use and own a cheap $350 Inspiron 3000 laptop, build quality was extremely reasonable for a sub $500 laptop with a Core i3 cpu. Made a huge difference after Installed an SSD and added an NVME. Then I also upgraded the ram to 16gb and it was more than ample.

A few years later I hoped on a Lenovo 920 2 in 1, biggest POS I ever used...eventually the watch hinge design failed and snapped

Then recently last year I went back to Dell's with an Inspiron 7306 2 in 1, an almost pretty Ultrabook with all the amenities, an underclocked Core i7 (due to thermal limitations) and bells and whistles for some $600 after going back and forth with Best Buy and Dell customer service. In the middle of last year I also picked up a Macbook Air with M1 just for light use and video editing. Its plenty for on the go and crazy battery life. I find last year's MBA M1 better than this year's cheapened MBA M2.

I'd stay away from Newegg. Better to buy your laptops in person from Microcenter or Best Buy

Dell service has been the best in my experience. HP the worst. Lenovo might be in-between.

Main thing is to avoid consumer level (Inspiron) laptops unless you're ok replacing them every 2-3 years, because they won't hold up. Business class (Vostro is entry level business class) are built stronger but cost more. That's probably true regardless of brand.

Since I have a work laptop (Dell Latitude), I don't have a lot of use for a personal one. For that reason, I bought a cheapo $280 HP with an i5 Intel chip. Every Black Friday, Costco has a super deal on HPs. Doesn't have a touchscreen (I hate people touching my screen), but has an SSD, backlit keyboard, and a surprisingly nice display for the price. I don't expect it to last more than a few years, which is fine because I'll just buy another Black Friday laptop to replace it.

NickTheGreat

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What's wrong with Newegg? I've been a customer of theirs for nearly 20 years now.

I don't like all the third party stuff they've got going on, but they've been solid for me on direct purchases.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What's wrong with Newegg? I've been a customer of theirs for nearly 20 years now.

I don't like all the third party stuff they've got going on, but they've been solid for me on direct purchases.
Myself, too many years :) Do like their Business Site, I have found better prices there than anywhere else. On Sale that is, Shell Shockers. But not always. I do try to buy direct instead of third party, but I do that everywhere else too. One thing I can say is their Return Policy has improved, guess trying to compete with Amazon...

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Gamers Nexus went through a tough experience with Newegg very recently :(

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Gamers Nexus went through a tough experience with Newegg very recently :(
Open Box is a gamble no matter where you buy. Sounds like the 1.5 million followers on Gamers Nexus is what made Newegg's new "no questions asked" open box return policy. Which is a good thing, IMO. Newegg returns have always been strict, in my experience. But recently I have had good experience with returning to them. They are no Amazon or Walmart in returns excepting almost everything thrown back at them, but last month my return with Newegg was very easy and the refund was in good timing...

Several years back a family member bought some Memory from Newegg, when he returned it they said it was damaged, he said it was not, don't know but he had a bit of a fight before they returned his money. You would be amazed how many people damage motherboards CPU sockets and return them, Rep. at Micro Center informed me of this.

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
So my Nephew asked me to recommend a laptop for college (engineering) CAD and occasionally gaming. I remembered this awesome thread and found it. Need your opinion on this laptop at a local store.I’m cdn dollars

486A8813-522D-43BF-A935-60131F3507D3.png

Last edited:

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So my Nephew asked me to recommend a laptop for college (engineering) CAD and occasionally gaming. I remembered this awesome thread and found it. Need your opinion on this laptop at a local store.I’m cdn dollars

View attachment 172084
The '11' in 11800H denotes an 11th generation Intel CPU. The latest generation is 13. I believe both the 12th and 13th generation chips are significantly more power efficient (longer runtime on battery).

I've been seeing laptop deals on SlickDeals quite a lot recently, but I don't know if the deals are generally available to Canada or not.
Dell G16 Gaming Laptop: i7-12700H, 16" 165Hz 1600p, RTX 3060, 16GB DDR5, 512GB SSD $838 + Free Shipping

I'd be looking for a 12th or 13th gen if it were me, though I'm sure that laptop is fine.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

View attachment 172084
Check with his school - many will give the minimum specs needed to run the programs needed for their engineering program, some are even down to engineering major specific!

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
I also noticed only 40W gpu
I may recommend this one to him then.

Attachments

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I also noticed only 40W gpu
I may recommend this one to him then.
200 Watt Transformer says it all, the GPU would not be hindered...good choice...

I am very much enjoying my MSI G66 Leopard 11UG...280 Watt Transformer, crazy big :)

It was easy for me to add more Memory and a second M.2 drive...

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
Maybe I am pushing the gaming side of thing abit much. But this maybe on the high end of his spectrum. Is the something mid tier let’s say $600-$700 ?

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe I am pushing the gaming side of thing abit much. But this maybe on the high end of his spectrum. Is the something mid tier let’s say $600-$700 ?
So with CAD/Engineering, Desktop Publishing, Video Rendering/Encoding/Decoding, etc., a gaming machine is normal or at least it use to be, I know there are Video Cards, very expensive, made for CAD/DTP users but gaming machines are the next best thing.

Hard to find anything good under a grand, may look at refurbish...

I think wittaj made a good point:
Check with his school - many will give the minimum specs needed to run the programs needed for their engineering program, some are even down to engineering major specific!

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here's what I'd likely be looking at given the requirements;

i5 or i7 12th or 13th generation CPU (integrated graphics are ok for light gaming, discrete necessary for modern FPS games)
Touch display (useful for drafting/drawing
Backlit keyboard
Minimum 1920x1080 HDR display
Thunderbolt 4.x that supports minimum of 3x external displays

I prefer a smaller screen size (around 14") for a laptop I take everywhere, but would want a larger screen for gaming... but I'd never game on a just a laptop; I'd connect to external monitors, keyboard, mouse, which means my preference always leans towards compactness.

My work laptop is attached to a Thunderbolt dock connected to 3x displays, a keyboard, mouse, and USB dongle for a wireless headset. It has a touch screen I never use except for the somewhat rare occasion I'm on the road and scrolling through documentation. Motorized standing desk, which I switch up a couple times per day.

The thing under the monitor is a 100w infrared heater (I don't heat the whole house when I'm the only one home). Adjustable lamp, fan, headset, Google Home speaker, power strip is mounted to the bottom of the desk, phone charging cable held by a magnet on the other side of the desk frame... monitors shown have been replaced with 3x curved 24".

I bought a $280 Costco Black Friday HP laptop I keep at the couch. It's a 10th gen i5 with 14" 1080 display, backlit keyboard, and not many other frills. Perfect for my casual needs, but it wouldn't survive being carried everywhere and constant demanding use. Actually bought this with the intention of using as a BI computer, but ended up using a PC I acquired through work (perks of IT).

Laptops are great for taking notes in class, but if I'm going to do any serious work at all, I'm going for a minimum of 2 displays. My normal day has 1 screen dedicated to communication (chat/email/CRM), 1 screen for what I'm working on, and 1 screen for documentation/misc. With 3 screens I'm still switching between many different things.

Reaction score
My dilemma:

I need a Windows based tablet/detachable laptop to replace the one that was stolen from my RV in the break-in I posted about. I use it to run only one program. It is a diesel engine monitoring app. Connects to the diagnostics port under the dash with a USB cable to the laptop.

The one that was stolen was an HP Pavillion 10 Tablet 10-N123DX that I bought in 2015. They don't make them anymore and can't find one even used or referb online.

Pics below show it mounted just over the steering wheel on a RAM Mount. Second photo shows the app running, but it is an old layout.

IMG_3507 (3).JPG IMG_4905.JPG

Anyone have any ideas on a replacement?

I have been able to find referb Chromebooks, but the app is only Windows based. Does anyone know if you can wipe a Chromebook and put Windows on it? Or even some other tablet that Windows could be loaded on?