Larger system unstable - where's the issue?

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
This is really useful to get some idea of likely limits - many thanks!
Following this logic, if you could hardwire the multiple APs, couldn't you just hardwire the cameras instead :)

Reaction score
Following this logic, if you could hardwire the multiple APs, couldn't you just hardwire the cameras instead :)
Almost - the site is subject to regular 'move arounds' that would affect camera locations, but I can probably find 3 or 4 things 'big enough they wont move'. My advice is going to be simply that they need to hardwire the lot and deal with any moves later on!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know what the infrastructure is like, but if ubiquiti point to point radio bridges are an option to connect clusters of cameras, they are very cost-effective and much MUCH better than cameras directly connected to wifi.

Teeauu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm a little late to the party but...
BP2008 you hit it on the head, good quality radios are what is needed, you can achieve the equivalent of wired cameras with Ubiquity radios for the backbone and cameras connected to them through a quality switch. Forget the WiFi in the cameras as someone said that is a toy. I have 5 acres covered with around 30 cameras and all but the main house are on the wireless backbone. I use the Ubiquiti Unifi Ap-AC lite for the backbone radios (in a weatherproof enclosure) and the ubiquiti POE or Edgerouter switches. No problem with heat these are Enterprise grade switches.

Reaction score
Ubiquiti Unifi Ap-AC lite
Glad those Unifi AP AC Lite are working for you, but usually when building wireless backbone/backhaul I think the typical recommendations run more towards Ubiquity NanoStation 5 or Nanonstation Loco or other point-to-point transparent bridge solution which work differently than access points like the AC Lite.

Teeauu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Glad those Unifi AP AC Lite are working for you, but usually when building wireless backbone/backhaul I think the typical recommendations run more towards Ubiquity NanoStation 5 or Nanonstation Loco or other point-to-point transparent bridge solution which work differently than access points like the AC Lite.
If I was doing this at work I would use a completely different Ubiquiti. For home these work exceptionally well and have the same Ubiquiti performance and reliability. Remember I don't need a large number of logins or huge amounts of bandwidth. I need reliability and a reasonable amount of bandwidth which these provide. I also run these at home with Openwrt which provides me with options as well. Thank you for the comments!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
That is pretty interesting using UAP-AC-LITE for outdoor connections. Certainly not what it was designed for!

I've installed a lot of long range outdoor links using various AirMAX equipment. 0.1 miles. 0.5 miles. 3.7 miles. 9 miles. 17 miles. 20 miles. I wouldn't try even the shortest of these with just omnidirectional Unifi APs. Much better to use directional antennas whenever possible because of the stronger signal strength where you need it, and creating less noise where you don't need it.

Teeauu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That is pretty interesting using UAP-AC-LITE for outdoor connections. Certainly not what it was designed for!

I've installed a lot of long range outdoor links using various AirMAX equipment. 0.1 miles. 0.5 miles. 3.7 miles. 9 miles. 17 miles. 20 miles. I wouldn't try even the shortest of these with just omnidirectional Unifi APs. Much better to use directional antennas whenever possible because of the stronger signal strength where you need it, and creating less noise where you don't need it.
Absolutely if I was to go a distance. I'm going up a 150 foot drive with a bend in the middle so I have 2 radios in the middle and one at either end. Trust me, works great, incredible WiFi with neg 65 being the worst. Solid connection. AC connections are great. I too do a lot of networking and outdoor WiFi in my day job. We often have to solve unique situations. This was minor compared to some of them. Have a great day!

So today I measured my drive as I had the measuring wheel out to estimate some fences. I was way off. Currently I am 297 feet from the AP over the garage to the second AP and another 179 feet to the 3rd AP at the top of the drive. Not bad at all. Have a good night!

Last edited: