laView NVR w/ too many email alerts

venezian

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, I have had the LV-N9808C8E NVR with 6 IP cameras for about two years now. Several months ago there was an issue with email providers updating their security/SMTP. This issue was resolved when LaView released an updated firmware V3.4.62 build 160713 which is the current firmware I'm running.

However, on laview's website, the only available firmware listed for my NVR is V3.3.1. I have not tried his version because I did not save a copy of V3.4 in case going back to 3.3 breaks the email notifications.

6 cameras are set to motion record and I've drawn the grid to completely avoid bushes/plants/trees with the cameras. The camera's motion sensitivity vary between 20 (lowest) and 40 (low-medium).
Enable Dynamic Analysis for Motion is turned on, although I suspect it does not work because the red grid outlines stay green even when triggered. Whether it's enabled or not, it doesn't seem to affect the number of alerts.

With the original firmware I used to get email notifications for each motion alert. between 10pm and 6am I would wake up to 50 - 100 emails depending on how many bugs/opossums/stray cats trigger the alert.
In the day time I would average 100 - 200 email alerts. Majority of these alerts are cars in the neighborhood, my neighbor who uses my driveway once in a while, gardeners, solicitors, mail man and my dog.

After the new firmware was installed, now I'm waking up to 400 - 700 email alerts. In the day time it jumps to 600 - 1000 email alerts. I go through a lot of these emails, but when a person triggers motion, for example, the mail man. I will never get an email alert. If I do a playback video, the NVR did record the mail man delivering, but there is not alert email for that. All of the alert emails I've gone through don't show what is triggering. One camera that has cars passing alerts most of the time.

The emails have all become noise and don't even show when packages get delivered or gardeners are working.

any ideas?

Jack Ruby

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My advice is to get real motion sensors. Does your NVR has alarm inputs for external devices? The motion detention on my LaView POE system is horrible.

venezian

n3wb
Reaction score
My advice is to get real motion sensors. Does your NVR has alarm inputs for external devices? The motion detention on my LaView POE system is horrible.
I took the NVR to the desert and put some .30cal rounds in it.

I upgraded to a VM with blue iris and very happy with the setup.