Laymen Dahua Starlight System possible?

MMcCawley

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm not super tech savy and am looking to install a basic security camera system to watch over our property while our family moves to Uganda as missionaries in February. Good night viability and app notifications of potential intruders are important. Also, internet is spotty at best so I can't rely heavily on having a connection.

I was leaning towards a $500-750 Lorex Black Friday system but then started reading about the superior night vision of the Starlight cameras. I'd prefer to go this route but am concerned that I'm going to get lost trying to set-up a custom system as opposed to buying a boxed solution (we have our hands full preparing to move and to be frank I'm probably not tech savy enough to get up to your speed). Does a Plug-and-play Dahua package exist for dummies like me or am I better off buying a prepackaged system?

Thanks so much for any input you can provide, I sincerely appreciate it!

Thanks,
Matt

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Fellow dummy here...

Dahua makes HDCVI cameras and DVR/XVR's that are a bit simpler than an IP system for those of us IP networking challenged. They can work with a variety of cabling types from Cat5 to RG59 coax, including Power and Video over the same single cable..

They are very reliable. Relatively easy to setup and manage, and can adapt to IP cameras down the road or run a mix of HDCVI and IP cams. Many if not most of the same Starlight IP cams can be found in the HDCVI lineup.

Upside from a dummy standpoint is no dedicated computer to setup and maintain, shorter learning curve than a full featured VMS software such as Blue Iris, and few if any networking issues.

Other than selecting and sourcing the appropriate cameras and DVR/XVR combination, you will have the same exact installation process, but with better cameras and functionality than the typical box set. (Starlights are not usually included in box sets)
HDCVI Cameras
https://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/allProducts/417

Some of my samples using HDCVI Dahua 2MP Starlight cams
bigredfish59

There are some advantages with IP based systems, but wanted to give you one possible alternative.