Lazy Neighbor Pushes My Trash Can With His Truck / Caught On Video

vandyman

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Are the trash containers township property with serial number? If so there could be a heaver fine for property damage...

jd415

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
They are owned by the city with serial numbers. I left a note on his car that I got the whole thing on camera. Lets see what happens...

jd415

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
We have very limited parking spots on our street and didn't want to block my driveway so my wife and I can get out to go to work in the morning. Usually people just nicely move the trash can if it's in their way.

pinko

Known around here
Reaction score
Why are the bins on the road?
We do it something like this....
wheelie_bins_curbside.jpg
FWIW I would just put the bin in front of my driveway to avoid hassles with neighbors.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm gonna put myself in this guys shoes and say no harm no foul. He didn't push them over and didn't damage them. This is what we call the cost of doing business, or in this case, the cost of living in an area with limited parking. When you live in an urban area and park on the street, you kind of expect your bumpers to get jacked up. If you put your garbage cans out behind someone's truck, they may get moved gently. Nice camera.

Nickg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That was done on purpose . He didnt have to back up so much to get out of that spot.
He was sending a message..

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
You could always put it out tomorrow and fill it up with those bricks or concrete blocks you were about to get rid of. :)

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
The problem with what he did is now anyone coming home will have to move them to get into the drive. Frustrating, but I suppose that's the price of living on 0.0001 acres of land.

FWIW, I had my mail carrier do this to my can - but she had other options.

Don't mean to thread-jack, but this may help OP put it into perspective:

Don't mind the poor quality. This was 2006, pre-IP cameras.

Reaction score
Why are the bins on the road? We do it something like this....
We have sidewalks in our neighborhoods but since the trucks have the grabber arms to grab and pickup the garbage cans (so the worker never leaves the truck), after a couple times of not having my garbage picked up (or watching the VERY irritated city worker get out of the truck to move them into grabber range) I just started pushing them about 2 ft out from the curb to avoid problems. I know our city cans are a few hundred dollars to replace, so if any REAL damage occurred because of a neighbor and was caught on camera, I'd consider trying to get the city to go after them for destruction of their (city) property.

To me this looked like a "I'm too lazy to deal with this inconvenience, so I am going to back them into my neighbors driveway so the inconvenience is transferred back on the neighbor" scenario. After all, whether leaving or returning, those cans are going to be blocking your driveway.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
After living in northern California for 29 years in a residential neighborhood smack dab in the middle of Silicon Valley, I'd consider myself blessed if that's the worst problem I ever had with one of my neighbors. :headbang:

Xeddog

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just asking, but why did you have to put them right behind his truck? Couldn't you have put them on the other side of the driveway?

Also, living here is CA we are told to put the cans at the curb in the street. I think that is done to make sure to get in the way of as many pedestrians as possible. They walk in the street and don't use the sidewalks.

NickTheGreat

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It's a little funny that the OP didn't want to block his own driveway, proceeds to block someone's vehicle, and gets mad that the guy moves the trashcan to his driveway, blocking him in. Maybe funny's not the right word, but interesting?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Did your neighbor at least acknowledged and apologized?