Lazy Package Deliverer

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I don't think he meant to drop it from that height. He seems to be very spatially challenged. Just look at how he tried to fit a 6" wide box through a 2" slat (at 0:41 in video).

On an aside, has anyone else noticed how these delivery couriers are looking more and more geriatric? As indicators of economic health go, I'd say this doesn't bode well.

Just the other day, I watched as a late 60-ish man struggled to get a mower into the back of a beat-up mini-van. He had just finished mowing the yard of a house that is vacant (foreclosed). I'm guessing he was the low bidder for the bank's yard contract.

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't think he meant to drop it from that height. He seems to be very spatially challenged. Just look at how he tried to fit a 6" wide box through a 2" slat (at 0:41 in video).

On an aside, has anyone else noticed how these delivery couriers are looking more and more geriatric? As indicators of economic health go, I'd say this doesn't bode well.

Just the other day, I watched as a late 60-ish man struggled to get a mower into the back of a beat-up mini-van. He had just finished mowing the yard of a house that is vacant (foreclosed). I'm guessing he was the low bidder for the bank's yard contract.
Yikes.my dad is 70 and picks up hay bales still.i tell him to be carefull.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

Tizeye

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Gotta love Amazon!
I had a similar clip from my Ring doorbell which precedes my full camera install. The item was a cheap coffee mug wife had to have that didn't break. Sent the low quality clip to Amazon. Refunded the purchase plus $5 credit on future orders, extended Prime membership 1 month. Offered to send another coffee mug which we declined as it didn't break.

Please keep it up. Have to pay for these cameras somehow!

This also illustrated the photo challenge with strong backlighting making the subject dark. At least with a real camera can adjust the gain to lighten the shadows and have better placement flexibility rather than straight out.
Ring Video Doorbell #AlwaysHome

Last edited:

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Gotta love Amazon!
I had a similar clip from my Ring doorbell which precedes my full camera install. The item was a cheap coffee mug wife had to have that didn't break. Sent the low quality clip to Amazon. Refunded the purchase plus $5 credit on future orders, extended Prime membership 1 month. Offered to send another coffee mug which we declined as it didn't break.

Please keep it up. Have to pay for these cameras somehow!
And unknown to you, the guy was immediately terminated and blacklisted for future courier jobs - all for something that didn't result in damage. Not faulting you, but we have to realize that reporting stuff to their employers like this (especially when it's not flagrant) will have serious consequences for the person captured on video.

I once caught a gas company employee taking a wizz on the side of my house. Wife saw it and was furious. She wanted me to report it. But, I knew if I did, the guy would lose his job. I had attended enough utility company employee workshops to know that public urination is grounds for immediate dismissal. Instead, I contacted the utility and asked to speak with the guy who replaced my gas meter. They said they usually don't allow that - and wanted to know what issue I had. I simply told them that if I report it, he'd get in trouble, and I'd rather not go that far. They relayed the message, and a day later the guy called me. I told him he was dead center in my camera, and asked why he would do that. Crickets. He was so embarrassed. He's nearly 60y/o and had to go really bad, he said. I told him there was a clubhouse no more than 2 min away - or he could have knocked on my door. He apologized profusely, and said he'd never do it again. That satisfied my wife - and the guy didn't join the ranks of the unemployed.

Tizeye

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That may be true or a strong reprimand, or what ever as we just don't know. But I tend to think in a macro level - to change behavior for the larger group it improves for everyone. Essentially as co-workers learn, either formally or through the grapevine, the awareness impacts their behavior. As a trainer for customer service at a brokerage firm, during role play, I, a customer would call in and give my account# with the name "Anil Dikshit" appearing on the screen for the class to see and the trainee would reply (or try too) "Yes Mr_____, how can I help?" The class was rolling on the floor. At that point I would stop and direct to the notes section of the account and the note from the Compliance Dept where they ran a credit check confirming that customer was a real person and deserved every bit of respect - not some test account we made up for training purposes. (He has since changed his name, so felt free to use it here as an example). Look at the macro level and increase awareness...and everyone benefits.

After laid off, I worked 6 weeks for an insurance company until I quit due to their policies and as a result learned to never accept an apology as I saw the power of how it works. Essentially, their sales training was to intentionally be at least 30 minutes late arriving at a home sales visit. They were obviously upset, but a simple apology noting that the last appointment took too long (a lie - we went to the mall to kill time) they immediately calmed down and were like putty in our hands. It also served as a tactic for an immediate decision so as not to impact next appt already 'late for'. Essentially, they delegated control of their emotions "well the did apologize" to a third party who had no intention of changing. (Listen for that in future apologies - it's amazing how that pattern repeats). That is just so foreign to my character that I refused to work that way and quit.

Last edited:

spork

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Packages suffer much worse inside a sorting hub. They are thrown together with furniture, tires, trampolines and anything else you can order online. All this stuff dumps over in transit or when being unloaded. If you get a package that looks like a accordion it was probably crushed on a sorting slide or jammed in a belt.

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong when drivers chuck LED monitors over a 6' privacy fence there is an issue. But when grandpa tosses your amazon prime package that he got paid $2.50 to deliver over your railing - I don't see an issue with it.
I disagree. He has agreed to provide a service, in exchange for payment, and he is obligated to provide that service to a reasonable standard. Launching packages over a railing, leaving it exposed to the elements, visible from the street, and at risk of theft, is not what I would consider providing a delivery service to a reasonable standard. Sure he might not be receiving a kings ransom for his efforts but he still agreed to do it for that price, and personally I like to hold them to their agreement by complaining if the service does not reach what I consider to be the minimum standard. I've found it improves the standard of service immensely.

And unknown to you, the guy was immediately terminated and blacklisted for future courier jobs - all for something that didn't result in damage. Not faulting you, but we have to realize that reporting stuff to their employers like this (especially when it's not flagrant) will have serious consequences for the person captured on video.
Where is the personal responsibility? Sure it may be the first time he has ever done it, and he is just having a bad day, but the reality is probably that it is the first time he has ever been caught doing it, and his general standard of performance is such that he should be given the arse.

After laid off, I worked 6 weeks for an insurance company until I quit due to their policies and as a result learned to never accept an apology as I saw the power of how it works. Essentially, their sales training was to intentionally be at least 30 minutes late arriving at a home sales visit. They were obviously upset, but a simple apology noting that the last appointment took too long (a lie - we went to the mall to kill time) they immediately calmed down and were like putty in our hands.
I didn't realise that was a sales tactic that someone had attempted to use on me until just now. Bloke turned up 30 minutes late and he tried to get that excuse out but I sent him away at the door because as far as I was concerned, if my time wasn't important enough to him to turn up on time, then I wasn't about to give him any more of it. He looked horrified.

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think the people delivering for amazon have to use an app on their own phones and aren't given a barcode scanner. He was probably struggling to scan the packages as delivered and see where his next stop is.

Lately I've noticed when UPS/fedex encounter a front gate even one that isn't locked, they put the package in a plastic bag and tie it to the outside of gate. The result is packages that are practically begging to be stolen
I'm curious where you live that Fedex and ups place in a plastic bag cause neither one carries plastic bags issued by either company and a courier isnt going to be paying for bags nor is it policy

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I disagree. He has agreed to provide a service, in exchange for payment, and he is obligated to provide that service to a reasonable standard. Launching packages over a railing, leaving it exposed to the elements, visible from the street, and at risk of theft, is not what I would consider providing a delivery service to a reasonable standard. Sure he might not be receiving a kings ransom for his efforts but he still agreed to do it for that price, and personally I like to hold them to their agreement by complaining if the service does not reach what I consider to be the minimum standard. I've found it improves the standard of service immensely.
He is obligated to door to door delivery that's it. Read the fine print it makes no mention of your standards. It's not his job to find a secure spot for it, it's not his job to find it shelter due to weather and it's surely not his job to hide it so it's invisible to the public sorry that is your job it's your property if you're that particular then pony up and provide a delivery box etc for your delivery people.. If you consider that harmless drop/toss launching you sure would hate to see how those packages travel and get crushed in a can going on air planes. Not if it's a tv etc something like that then dropping it in right but stuff now a days is packed well enough it can handle the bumps and bruises during its cross country travels

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm curious where you live that Fedex and ups place in a plastic bag cause neither one carries plastic bags issued by either company and a courier isnt going to be paying for bags nor is it policy
It's a rare event. I've only seen it a few times on houses with fences that extend to the sidewalk and have a closed/locked gate or a no trespassing sign on the gate. I'm pretty confident the bag was supplied by fedex or ups, the bags are large clear pastic. Last time I saw this was on a short walk while I got an oil change. Weather may be a factor, there have still been some snow on the ground. I just thought it was kind of funny to see these packages dangling from the outside of a fence right next to the sidewalk.

I'm in colorado.

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Did anyone else notice his farmers tan on his ankles? LMAOOO

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Did anyone else notice his farmers tan on his ankles? LMAOOO
funny but far better than sunburned feet. If you ever go whitewater rafting DON'T FORGET TO PUT SUNSCREEN ON YOUR FEET.

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
He is obligated to door to door delivery that's it.
So door to almost door qualifies?

Read the fine print it makes no mention of your standards. It's not his job to find a secure spot for it, it's not his job to find it shelter due to weather and it's surely not his job to hide it so it's invisible to the public sorry that is your job
Fair dinkum you yanks are the land of the free and the home of the low standard. Locally we have to specify that it is ok to leave a package if the house if unattended. Even if you have given permission for the package to be left they are obligated to leave it somewhere safe.

(b) Australia Post will use reasonable endeavours to follow the delivery instructions specified in the request for the MyPost Safe Drop Service. However, the person delivering a parcel may, at their absolute discretion, decide that the requested delivery location is inaccessible, unsafe to access, in-view of passers-by, not protected from the weather, or otherwise not suitable for leaving the parcel, in which case, they will leave a card at the delivery address advising that the parcel can be collected from a nearby Post Office.
Though in Sydney the biggest issue seems to be the drivers just leaving cards instead of attempting delivery like they should. I caught my former delivery guy on CCTV pulling up, putting a card in the letter box, and driving away, when I was home. Damn straight I complained, because I now had to spend my time and money to drive to the Post Office to pick up my package. My service improved out of sight because I complained. I now have a new delivery guy and he is the best. Package in a safe place every time.

it's your property if you're that particular then pony up and provide a delivery box etc for your delivery people.. If you consider that harmless drop/toss launching you sure would hate to see how those packages travel and get crushed in a can going on air planes. Not if it's a tv etc something like that then dropping it in right but stuff now a days is packed well enough it can handle the bumps and bruises during its cross country travels
To me, the drop was the least offensive thing about that video. Yes the package has a rough ride but that shouldn't be an excuse for apathetic work performance on the part of people who are being paid to provide a service. If I was the OP I would complain my arse off for that reason alone.The rough handling is only a symptom of the disease that guy has.

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's a rare event. I've only seen it a few times on houses with fences that extend to the sidewalk and have a closed/locked gate or a no trespassing sign on the gate. I'm pretty confident the bag was supplied by fedex or ups, the bags are large clear pastic. Last time I saw this was on a short walk while I got an oil change. Weather may be a factor, there have still been some snow on the ground. I just thought it was kind of funny to see these packages dangling from the outside of a fence right next to the sidewalk.

I'm in colorado.
Gotcha but really Fedex doesn't supply bags

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Anyone have a clue what these independent delivery guys for Amazon get paid?
Is it per hour \ per package and how much?
Just curious.

Go3Team

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Anyone have a clue what these independent delivery guys for Amazon get paid?
Is it per hour \ per package and how much?
Just curious.
The Prime Now drivers here make $18 per hour plus tips. I do it occasionally, and will make around $130 for 4 hours work.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Wow, that's more than I expected. But you also have your gas \ mileage \ wear on the vehicle to cover yourself I guess.
$130/4 = $32.50 \ hr ~ $14.50\hr in tips...That's a lot in tips!...I have never even heard of tipping someone for delivering a package.

Go3Team

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Wow, that's more than I expected. But you also have your gas \ mileage \ wear on the vehicle to cover yourself I guess.
$130/4 = $32.50 \ hr ~ $14.50\hr in tips...That's a lot in tips!...I have never even heard of tipping someone for delivering a package.
Prime Now is a little different. You can get your stuff in an hour. People apparently want their stuff quick.