Lens Comparisons 4mm, 6mm, 12mm

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
They are focused for their design use case, which is indoors. If you chose to use it beyond 15'-20', then you may need to focus it yourself. It's not that hard to do. Just dissemble the camera, brush a little goof-off or other solvent, maybe nail polish remover with a fine brush on the glue spot on the lens to soften it, use small flathead jewelers screwdriver or a pointy object and the glue pops off. Then you can focus it as you wish. The nice thing about the 2432, once you remove the glue, you can focus the camera when it's fully assembled. Don't know of another Hikvision where that's the case. If you want to return it, send it back, what's the big deal? But don't expect another one to be any better.

catseyenu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
They are focused for their design use case, which is indoors.
The 2432 may be for indoors but my 2132 is not.
The 2432 in the other forum was compared to another 2432 and there is a big difference in the 2.
My 2132 is worse than the bad 2432.

If you chose to use it beyond 15'-20', then you may need to focus it yourself.
The pics in the other forum clearly show blur at 6' & 9.5' distance in the daylight, night is worse.

It's not that hard to do. Just dissemble the camera, brush a little goof-off or other solvent, maybe nail polish remover with a fine brush on the glue spot on the lens to soften it, use small flathead jewelers screwdriver or a pointy object and the glue pops off. Then you can focus it as you wish. The nice thing about the 2432, once you remove the glue, you can focus the camera when it's fully assembled. Don't know of another Hikvision where that's the case. If you want to return it, send it back, what's the big deal? But don't expect another one to be any better.
Is the break down the same as the 2432?
The big deal is they are claiming the 2132 is fine when it obviously is not.

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm not going to tell you what to do about sending back or chargebacks, that's between you and them, but I can help you fix the problem.

Here's my disassembly instructions for the 2432 - http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php?98-Hikvision-DS-2CD2432F-IW-Dissassembly&highlight=ds-2cd2432f

I don't know on the 2132, don't have one here to check at the moment, but my guess is you remove the dome cover which is obvious. Then there must be a way to remove the IR LED ring, I know it's just 3 Philips screws on the 2032 and comes off easily. Then the mount of the lens is exposed where you should see a glue spot. A bright light and magnifying glass or glasses like jeweler's glasses help. Just brush on a little solvent only on the glue, not on any plastic to soften the glue, then pry it off with a small flathead screwdriver by digging in the edge to pop it off. Once off, you can adjust it probably better than the factory adjustment since it's focused to what you want.

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
hikvision ds-2cd3332-i lens comparison:

4mm:

2.8mm:

To indoor I recommend the 2.8mm version.
This variance is much higher than I'm seeing.

I just placed a 3332 camera with 4mm in the same spot as one with 2.8mm and cropping what the 4 mm covers out of the 2.8 mm image when I have them side by side I can say that if you want to see what a 4mm will see vs a 2.8 mm, take any random image you have and crop 80% out of it; open it in Microsoft Paint, for example, drag a box that is 80% as wide and 80% as long and that's basically exactly what a 4mm lens is going to show you. This gels precisely with a post in another forum where Maxicon said that the 2.8 will show "1.25X" what the 4 shows. I got that 1.25X exactly. This pic must be 2.8 vs 6mm.

In my case I"m glad the difference is so small. I wanted a 4 mm for one particular application but it seems my 2.8 is going to cut it after all (saves the effort of reselling and buying another!).

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@LittleBrother...are you running yours in 3mp? If so that would explain the difference...

Last edited by a moderator:

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@LittleBrother...are you running yours in 3mp? If so that would explain the difference...
Yep, both my comparisons were in 3 MP. Still, it seems without me getting both images side by side that the 4 mm in that post is getting around 50% the picture of the 2.8mm.

pcdo78

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm also trying to decide my focal length for both indoors and outdoors. Would people say that 2.8mm indoors and 3.6-4mm outdoors makes the most sense?

catseyenu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It depends on what you want to see but generally speaking a 2.8 works for most rooms.