Lets talk Cerakoting and Boom Sticks!

Reaction score
I have a RIA HC 1911A1. I call it my 'grey turd', as it is ugly as sin. But damn if it doesn't shoot better then I do and always goes 'bang'. The parkerizing I had done on it is not good. That's being kind. Over the years, I have added stuff to it, wilson combat, blah, blah, blah. But now, it is time to give it a rust proof coat, and I decided on Sniper Grey in Cerakote. Most of my add-ons are in polished stainless.

How many of you have tried it? I went with the H series as I really like baked on finishes better then air dry. I use to do Brownell's GunKote which was great stuff, I mean really great, but they do not make it any longer. I have also used alumi-hyde, and if done correctly I have no problem using it on a long gun (as I have done in the past). Holds up really well. Matter of fact, I used it on a ar lower once, botched it, and couldn't get the crap off....I mean notta. Sent it to my gun smith buddy and he was impressed...but he bead blasted it off.

Prep is the key, prep, prep and prep one more time.

Anyhow, let me know what you think, if any of you have any boom sticks left that didn't go down during all of those boating accidents! :)

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I did a Glock 22 and a PS90 with the low temp cerakote a while back, not sure what the version was called. I think it needed something like 200 degrees for 30 minutes or something like that. I have a junk 220v oven in the garage so the wife doesn't beat me for using the kitchen oven for my silly projects. I remember thinking it was going to peel or flake off, but its been holding on strong for years. I don't know what's in it, but its better than regular paint.

pinko

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm heading out tomorrow to pick up an Aussie made Cerakoted 17HMR.
I reckon the only one that I had ever seen with any imperfections was a mates 22LR with a factory ceracote finish a few years back.
It had very slight imperfections near the crown @ end of the barrel. It was like the galvanic corrosion you get on Aluminium boats. Very minor, not sure what he did with the gun. I would have sent it back.

BORIStheBLADE

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a HK USP that is about 20 years old and the blued finish is starting come off in a couple areas. I've been thinking about getting it Cerakote coated. Do all of these coating get baked on?