Level 2 Switch vs. WLAN

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
OpenVPN is a free shareware firmware program, yes? What is the router that you installed it on?
What is OpenVPN? it's a free vpn server/client software, openBSD is an operating system, basically secure and ready to go as a firewall out of the box. OpenBSD

I bought hardware off amazon, set up openbsd, installed openvpn and pow. Not for the faint of heart but a lot of systems implement their own version of openvpn. openvpn itself is pretty easy to set up, and you can run it on any vanilla linux, there are probably distros out there with it all ready to go. it also runs on windows.

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not for the faint of heart
I think where this SW Is concerned your quote is a gross understatement. I downloaded the free version of the OpenVPN and there is not a single per-formated window. After several hours reading instructions there is just too much hoop jumping to justify the project. Things like converting configuration files to the Linex compatible OS, to accommodate the OpenVPN programs.

This may be OK if you do this sort of thing for a living but otherwise I'd say forget it if you want to put it on a Windows OS.

There may also be a different conclusion for the program version that you have to pay for?

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
in windows you just install it and put in the config file, you may have been reading something strange lol. and the config files are fairly straight forward with comments for each setting.

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
wouldn't it take two such routers to encrypt and un-encrypt in each of two separate LANS/locations ?

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Get an ASUS router they seem the best and easiest. I fought it then discovered the ASUS which offers walk through instructions very simply in the software plus help here or :

Setting Up And Using OpenVPN On ASUS Routers - SmallNetBuilder
Am I interpreting this correctly; that I am going to have to have VPN routers on both ends of my desired merger; regardless of the VPN setup method?

"Edit the file zeroshell.ovpn and replace zeroshell.example.com with the hostname or the IP address of the OpenVPN router;"

Last edited:

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Am I interpreting this correctly; that I am going to have to have VPN routers on both ends of my desired merger; regardless of the VPN setup method?

"Edit the file zeroshell.ovpn and replace zeroshell.example.com with the hostname or the IP address of the OpenVPN router;"
Correct, any VPN has to have two devices, client server, or server server. They encrypt and decrypt the packets as they come and go.