License disappeared

Reaction score
We have been using Blue Iris for years. Yesterday, the program wasn't running and when we looked at it we saw that it was in demo mode with zero days left.

I can only find my version 4 license code and support is not responding to requests for our version 5 license code. Does anyone know why the license would have just disappeared? Is there a way to repair this without having to buy the program again?

Is there a phone number I can call for support or maybe sales?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you running BI with auto updates?

If so, revert back a few versions. Usually someone gets the demo mode 1 year after their last purchase if they updated after that date.

You should have received an email when you purchased that would have the license number in it.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
BI doesn't do a great job in the way it handles updates and licensing. Specifically, it doesn't warn you if you try to install an update after your support period has ended. It will install the update and then go into "Demo" mode which is what happens when anyone installs the software without a current license. Long story short, you license probably hasn't disappeared. However you did likely install a BI version after your support period ended. To fix this, you need to install a version that was release by BI during your support period or purchase another year of support.

Just to be clear, you can install a newer version than what you initially had installed, but it must have a release date prior to your support period ended. So if you were on build 5.0.5 and build 5.1.4 was release the day before your support period ended, you can install 5.1.4 just fine. However if you try to install a version after 5.1.4, it will enter the "Demo" stage and you will either have to purchase another year of support, or roll back to 5.1.4 or earlier.

I suspect BI does this because they find that most people will simply pay for another year of support rather than try to roll back to some earlier version, but you certainly can rollback without paying any additional money.