License plate camera question

Jon Hunt

n3wb
Reaction score
I plan on getting a box style camera with a 50-80mm telephoto lens ip camera. Mounted in a outside box. No IR just day and night mounted 15ft high on a tree and pointed towards the road. Road about 100 ft away. Would a d1 rating work or should I get a 2mp camera? Cars highest speeds would be 30mph. No front plates so it would be rear plates only.

Would this be enough?

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I run my 1MP cameras at D1 resolution because most LPR software requires that the plate make up a certain percentage of the image regardless of the resolution. The higher the resolution, the harder the software has to work, the more CPU load it takes. On the other hand, I have an ordinary bullet with a 12mm lens and I get readable plates in the video at 50' day or night at 3MP, but that would not work with at all with LPR software but good enough for forensic research.

Not saying you will ever get LPR software, but to let you know that D1 is plenty of resolution to get a plate capture.

If you haven't bought the camera, the 3 best low light box cameras to consider are the 1MP Bosch Starlight, Axis Q1604 or Samsung Wisenet III low light box. Check with Wrightwood surveillance, they can order any of those brands for you.

nzipcamera

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I run my 1MP cameras at D1 resolution because most LPR software requires that the plate make up a certain percentage of the image regardless of the resolution. The higher the resolution, the harder the software has to work, the more CPU load it takes. On the other hand, I have an ordinary bullet with a 12mm lens and I get readable plates in the video at 50' day or night at 3MP, but that would not work with at all with LPR software but good enough for forensic research.

Not saying you will ever get LPR software, but to let you know that D1 is plenty of resolution to get a plate capture.

If you haven't bought the camera, the 3 best low light box cameras to consider are the 1MP Bosch Starlight, Axis Q1604 or Samsung Wisenet III low light box. Check with Wrightwood surveillance, they can order any of those brands for you.

Hi networkcameracritic,
just wondering if you have had any experience with the new Hikvision DS-2CD6026FHWD-(A) 2MP or if you are planing on testing it. I'm looking at using one for LPR application. I have created a new thread here:

http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php?2477-Hikvision-DS-2CD6026FHWD-(A)-2MP-Ultra-Low-light-for-vehicle-license-plate-capture

I have read alot of your posts and would be most interested in your opinion of this camera.

Jon Hunt

n3wb
Reaction score
I ended up buying a IQeye IQ861NE with 100mm lens. Seems like it's a good camera. We don't have front plates in Fl