License Plate Camera

COtto1984

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My wife and I purchased a house last July. I immediately built a Blue Iris system and installed a couple cameras on the house with the intention of expanding camera installations one-by-one. I am trying to prioritize my camera installs as I'm running a new CAT6 run for each one. In attached picture, you can see the "simulated" view in blue of my first camera (please excuse my Microsoft Paint job) I installed. That is roughly 120 feet from the street. I also have a doorbell camera in the front-center of the house. In recent weeks, we have had a recent string of burglaries in our neighborhood. I was able to catch some action on the referenced two cameras, but nothing that would be of much help. The perps slowly drove down the street and went "door-to-door" checking for unlocked vehicles. Luckily ours were locked and did not have any valuables accessible.

In the attached pictures, the green circles represent small trees. The red circle is my mailbox. I was thinking about mounting some kind of camera to either location 1 (mailbox post) or 2 (small oak tree). Location 1 would be ideal for getting close-ups of vehicles or license plates, but would be extremely exposed to both criminals and the elements. Location 2 would be further away from the street (20 to 30 feet) and would also have to be mounted low due to age of tree. The other challenge is both cameras are 100+ feet from the house so wireless would likely be more unreliable than normal, if it would work at all. I could beam a wireless signal via AP if needed. Running an underground cable would be even more challenging due to length of run, obstacles (driveway, utilities, etc.) and entry into home.

Any recommendations on how I should go about this? The ultimate goal is to get a better shot of traffic / license plates coming and going on our street. Note: I also marked where I currently have wireless AP.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Take a look at this subforum.

Many examples doing exactly what you propose in that section.

The big thing to remember is the camera can be for plates only - it cannot be an overview camera. You have to run a fast shutter (1,2000) and at night the image will be completely black except for the head/taillights and plate when a car goes by.

Take a look at that and then let us know the questions you have.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Looks like a good candidate to build a base for the mailbox, and camouflage the camera inside.

Read up on the LPR cameras, and see how you can place your camera.
Don't skimp on your camera!

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
A WiFi camera still needs power which means a wire. The only way to get a reliable system is conduit and cable with PoE cameras, not WiFi. WiFi and security are mutually exclusive terms.