License Plate Reader Camera

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
Thinking about installing a LPR camera on this pole. Here in my state we don't have front plates. So, what is everyone's take on best option? Just zoom in on the peak of the road and make the trigger catch snapshots of incoming vehicles and then another as it leaves with the second one capturing the plate? Let me know what you guys think.1643930565361.jpg1643930606596.jpg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'd go with the peak. It is further, but cameras exist to capture at that distance, and it would be the pinchpoint.

Anyplace else you aim it towards and someone could be missed based on the arc they take and then the angle of the plate is problematic.

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd go with the peak. It is further, but cameras exist to capture at that distance, and it would be the pinchpoint.

Anyplace else you aim it towards and someone could be missed based on the arc they take and then the angle of the plate is problematic.
Yea what I was thinking. A bullet zoomed in on peak of road at plate height should work.. one question.. if camera is set to take several pics for the lpr will the software still recognize the plate even if it's days the 4th or 5th pic taken ?if that makes any sense

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Depends on which program you are using.

If you are using Plate Recognizer with Blue Iris, then it takes some trial and error to get the image right, or you run it with DeepStack and a custom model to only take a pic if there is a plate in the camera view. On a cul-de-sac, you could probably stay under the 2500 images per month.

If you are using OpenALPR, they use the video stream. Plate Recognizer has video stream option as well, but it is expensive.

Or you use the custom model that a member here wrote to read it for free:

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
Depends on which program you are using.

If you are using Plate Recognizer with Blue Iris, then it takes some trial and error to get the image right, or you run it with DeepStack and a custom model to only take a pic if there is a plate in the camera view. On a cul-de-sac, you could probably stay under the 2500 images per month.

If you are using OpenALPR, they use the video stream. Plate Recognizer has video stream option as well, but it is expensive.

Or you use the custom model that a member here wrote to read it for free:

I'm using deepstack. So maybe the member written model is best option. Thanks