license plates with hyphens

blade3609

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

Who is able to get hyphens in license plates using openalpr?

Or how can i see each character's exact coordinates?

crc2004

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you run a csv download of individual plates (instead of plate groups)from their search screen the csv file has the coordinates and size of the plate. Click on the download button (circled in red below) and inspect the csv file it downloads. From their documentation;

"The X and Y coordinates can be computed from the JSON metadata x/y coordinates of the license plate. The x1/y1 coordinates reference the top left of the license plate crop region, and the x2/y2 coordinates reference the bottom right."

Screen Shot 2018-04-19 at 6.37.14 PM.png

Last edited:

crc2004

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
lot's of different looking hyphens, I don't think they are part of the number.....United States license plate designs and serial formats - Wikipedia

"For various reasons related to visibility and readability, some states and territories exclude certain letters from use in their license plate serial formats. The most commonly skipped characters are I, O, and Q, with some states using only one or two of the three while others will skip all three of these letters. Other states, such as Colorado and Georgia have gradually adopted one or more of these letters over a course of years after previously skipping them in order to accommodate the demands of population growth and depletion of available serial combinations. The most common argument behind skipping I, O, and Q is that they can be too easily confused with 0, 1, and other characters, particularly when there isn't adequate spacing or divider between numbers and letters.

California currently only uses I, O, and Q in between two other letters, for example "1AQA000". A unique example of character use is Texas, which used to issue serials using all 26 letters but currently skips all vowels along with the letter Q on passenger plates (as these letters are reserved for truck plates).

In amateur radio license plate issues, all states that have them available, except Pennsylvania, use a unique slashed zero character in place of the standard "0" character due to lack of spacing between letters and numbers. In Pennsylvania, the die used for the number "0" is different than the one used for the letter "O" since the state's number dies are taller and narrower than its letter dies. Iowa is a unique example in the use of this character, which began using the slashed zero beginning in 2012 on all standard passenger plates as opposed to the traditional symbol for zero to differentiate it from the letter "O" which is also used."

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
are the results with hyphens? How did you get that?
OpenALPR Agent got that...the software, On the openalpr website dashboard u only see the letters and numbers,looks like,nothing else.
Also got this:

in dashboard at openalpr website:

Attachments