Life long nerd - n3wb to IP Cameras...

GreyLine

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Normally, I can make about anything work when it comes to technology. However, these IP cameras are proving to be a substantial foe. Below is a general overview of my situation. No VLAN setup yet. All but one camera is connected to a device layer switch, the NVR connected to the core layer. Right now, the 2 cameras, noted in red below, are the only ones I am unable to get access to.

So... Hi there. Hello. How are you? How is your day going? How long have you been working with IP cameras and NVR's? Can you help me get on top of this issue so I can actually use the cameras we bought? What is the best way to lock down the cameras to allow access from only the NVR and designated IP addresses within our network?

Thanks!

• Hikvision DS-7616NI-E2 / 16P NVR - with up to date firmware
  • 12 cameras (10 of which actually work and allow connection)
    • PTZ-4818X-IZ
      • Unable to connect
      • password recovery using the Hikvision Password Recovery tool failed
      • Time's out when trying to update the IP and device info - admin password verified on all other cameras
      • SADP can see the camera but am unable to modify its settings or reset the password
      • default IP does not allow connection from any machine neither does the IP listed in SADP...
    • HES328-TD-2.8
    • DS-2CD2122FWD
    • DS-2CD2122FWD-ISB
    • DS-2CD2032-I
    • DS-2CD2122FWD-ISB
    • DS-2CD2032-I
    • DS-2CD2122FWD-ISB
    • DS-2CD2032-I
    • DS-2CD2032-I
    • DS-2CD2032-I
    • DS-2CD2032-I
    • PTZ-4818X-IZ
      • Unable to connect
      • password recovery using the Hikvision Password Recovery tool failed
      • Time's out when trying to update the IP and device info - admin password verified on all other cameras
      • SADP can see the camera but am unable to modify its settings or reset the password
      • default IP does not allow connection from any machine neither does the IP listed in SADP...

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Welcome to IPCT! The NVR you referenced is PoE, so the camera ports on the recorder will be on their own network. The RJ-45 port that connects the NVR to your network should be assigned a static IP address (if it is not already) and you should update your router/switches to ensure the IP address assigned to the NVR is not allowed out to the Internet.

Here is some additional info that you should consider reading: How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!)

GreyLine

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome to IPCT! The NVR you referenced is PoE, so the camera ports on the recorder will be on their own network. The RJ-45 port that connects the NVR to your network should be assigned a static IP address (if it is not already) and you should update your router/switches to ensure the IP address assigned to the NVR is not allowed out to the Internet.

Here is some additional info that you should consider reading: How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!)
First, thanks for the welcome! I appreciate it. Next, All but 1 of the cameras are connected to switches in the shop. There is only 1 camera hard connected to the NVR, and it works. The 2 we are having issues with are network connected to 2 different switches on the same network.

Is there a better forum for this convo?

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Folks here can only help based on the info provided. Diagram of the physical network and it's IP/vlan makeup would be helpful

Pogo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm gonna hop in here simply because it's an active thread and may get me to a more approriate sub-forum or topic. Searching Q-See on this forum doesn't turn up much, even though they're mostly Dahua cams. Haven't found any cross-ref so far either -- anywhere.

Anyway, I just repaired a couple Q-SEE QTN8037BC 3MP POE cams with crap connectors for a friend. Have power. Have IP connection and can see available ports. No RTSP video. Can get login screen on port 85 of the cameras, but am prompted to install a plugin which does nothing with a modern browser and am unable to access the camera to provision it via it's own interface.

Have downloaded the various software approaches available for both the Q-SEE and Dahua cameras -- basically the same software. Hang the cam off my laptop ethernet port using a power brick and the cam is not recognized at all by the software, though it's clearly up and running on the interface. I'm guessing a password issue or serial number compatibility/denial issue is somehow involved with this approach.

The cameras lack a factory reset button and there isn't one on the circuit board internally either.

Blue Iris is my platform and I've been through most of the available possibilities for configuration. These cams are supposed to be ONVIF compliant, but the generic ONVIF scan yields non-functioning results.

I've spent the last two hours experimenting with the ethernet pinout permutations and come up empty there as well. My guess is they'll work on my friend's NVR for proprietary or authentication reasons, but I'd like to be certain they do before returning them.

Any advice or magic bullet -- or direction to an approriate resource would be gratefully appreciated -- especially a way to restore factory defaults.

TIA

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
:iloveipct: Welcome. Most of us here are just like you. Hang around, read up, ask questions. You will be a expert before you know it.

Pogo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks. I've already kicked around a few areas here and gotten into it with some of the local 'experts'. Didn't realize ths was actually the 'New Members' thread!

Sorry for the invasion. LOL