Light pole box cameras how do you power?

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So the hoa in my neighborhood is thinking of adding some cameras on the fiberglass light poles. I understand adding the wireless stations to transmit the video signal like the Ubiquiti Nano Station, but what about the power? Are you guys installing a step down transformer in the pole?

Greyblack

n3wb
Reaction score
So the hoa in my neighborhood is thinking of adding some cameras on the fiberglass light poles. I understand adding the wireless stations to transmit the video signal like the Ubiquiti Nano Station, but what about the power? Are you guys installing a step down transformer in the pole?
It would be neat if you could go with a battery pack and solar panel.

CYANiDE

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My favorite design for poles is a small enclosure on which you can store a small POE switch. Can also have separate power if you are using a PTZ (or just use POE+ switch). You can then mount the radio and camera on the enclosure itself. This way you can get a weatherhead and drop 120 via flex conduit into the enclosure and be up and running quickly. As far as a solar panel and battery pack, if there is already 120 at the pole I don't see why you would pay more for a solar panel setup.

I would recommend EnGenius or Ubiquiti radios and Hikvision or Dahua cameras.

CYANiDE

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I would recommend EnGenius (simply because they actually have tech support if you need it).

Not sure how many of these you need - but would need one per pole (at least).
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833168092&cm_re=engenius_enh500-_-33-168-092-_-Product

For switches:
http://www.antaira.com/products/industrial-ethernet/unmanaged-switches/10-100tx-switches/lnp-0500-t?pid=5012

They also sell Gigabit switches if you want those (would depend on the number of cameras per pole).

Camera is your choice. If you decide to go with PTZ you will either need a power supply in the enclosure or a POE+ capable switch (your call).

Enclosure any Nema 4x rated will do.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Right now it would be one pole and then reciever on the house, so two ENH500's, switch, enclosure and have electrician setup 120v for me at pole?

CYANiDE

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yep. That should do it. The switch is rated for some crazy temps. so I think you can forego anything with a heater/blower on the enclosure itself. You are in Colorado though so I would check out what the lowest temps are in your area and see if it matches the specs of the switch.

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If only 1 camera, you could get away with an injector. The EnGenius will need power as well via an injector. I can't remember, but I think the ENH has a lan port plus the power port, no power will pass to it though. You could have 2 outlets there and use one for the EnGenius and 1 for the camera. Power the ENH from its injector, then run an ethernet cable from the LAN port on the ENH to the camera injector then to the camera. That would be a simple fairly safe way to do it. Not much to go bad from heat or cold. If you add more cams in the future you could add the switch then.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What's a good box camera that gives good day/night video that won't bust my wallet open?

CYANiDE

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am a fan of using switches but yes, if only one camera and one radio at the pole, injectors would be the cheaper way to do it. I would then ask to put in a couple extra outlets just in case.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I was going to have two outlets installed on pole, just in case.Have the outlets placed inside the sealed enclosure.

CYANiDE

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was going to have two outlets installed on pole, just in case.Have the outlets placed inside the sealed enclosure.
Yep, outlets inside the enclosure is the way to go.

A quick note about the radios - if they are not too far from each other I would turn the power wayyyy down so you don't burn them out.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Line of sight distance will be under 100'.

mycoma

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I would like to have 4 2mp cameras on one building and 4 2mp on another 50 feet apart, would 2 enh500 work or is there a different wireless extender I would need? Thanks

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is one building your main building where you router and everything will be? If so then one set with line of sight will work.

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had mine about 250' apart and they worked great. If you have them fairly well aligned, you can get 98mbps over the link. If you use both ethernet ports you can possibly get more.

mycoma

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thanks, both buildings have a closet to store the nvr, poe switch, internet can be installed in one of the closets. Design wise for point to point the enginous sounds good. I wonder when it's better to use ubiquity wireless equipment. Wireless point to multipoint sounds like a good way to link multiple buildings that are all line of site.

I had mine about 250' apart and they worked great. If you have them fairly well aligned, you can get 98mbps over the link. If you use both ethernet ports you can possibly get more.