Light storm passing

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
This is my first attempt at a video from my weather cam. Excuse the AC tubing as the new AC was installed last week and I need to give the camera a slight spin to the left.

At around the 0:50 mark in the video, you can see the rain passing out over the ocean.

Sped up 40x
View attachment untitled2.mp4

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
What is the use of the barrels on the roofs? catch rain water?
Water storage. Like a lot of places in the world, the supply from the water utility isn't 24/7. My area is scheduled for 8 to 12 hours of water supply daily. Other areas get 8 hours every other day.

So everybody has at least one tank on the roof where they store water for regular household use.

In my case, I have a 3500 litre cistern and 2200 liter tank on the roof. There's a float switch (I run 12v DC through mine, unlike most who use 110v AC!) in the tank. When the tank is only about 90% full, the switch closes which activates a relay and the submersible pump in the cistern fires up until the switch in the tank closes again. All automatic and I never have to think about it.

A lot of people have to manually turn on their pumps (many don't have cisterns) when the water comes on or they won't get water into the roof tank.

Just another quirk of living in a non-1st world country. Having almost 6000 litres means I never really have to worry unless there's major aquaduct issues as we had a couple years ago. In that case, I turn off the water pressurizer (pressurizes the water coming out of my roof tank so supply 4 bathrooms and one kitchen which I wouldn't be able to do with just gravity) which saves me quite a bit of water when washing dishes, hands, showering, etc.

Oh, and the aquaduct issues a few years ago were in lines with a 72" diameter! I'll see if I can find the photos they published of the welders standing inside with room to spare.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
In my house in India we have a 3500 litre underground tank and 2 * 750 litre tanks on the roof that then feed the house.

For normal washing/house water it’s filtered twice before it goes into the roof tanks. For drinking it’s filtered a further 2 times before passing through a 5 filter osmosis machine.

For us, luckily our complex has its own water bore so we get water for 1 hour a day but if we were to rely upon the local government it can be as long as a month before they release water to our area.

Sounds like hell but I normally go out there every year, stay for between 3 to 11 weeks, based upon work and if I can work remotely and just love it out there, the UK is slowly turning into a Wild West cesspit

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I agree.

Was hearing today how thieves are standing next to assistants in shops and saying I'm going to steal all those goods now and there's nothing you can do about it, and just filling a bag whilst standing right next to them. The assistants are no longer allowed to intervene so can only stand there and watch!

Last edited:

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
In my house in India we have a 3500 litre underground tank and 2 * 750 litre tanks on the roof that then feed the house.

For normal washing/house water it’s filtered twice before it goes into the roof tanks. For drinking it’s filtered a further 2 times before passing through a 5 filter osmosis machine.

For us, luckily our complex has its own water bore so we get water for 1 hour a day but if we were to rely upon the local government it can be as long as a month before they release water to our area.

Sounds like hell but I normally go out there every year, stay for between 3 to 11 weeks, based upon work and if I can work remotely and just love it out there, the UK is slowly turning into a Wild West cesspit
After living here for almost six years, I can drink the water. It's treated and the tank smells slightly of chlorine if I lift the lid and stick my head in. Reverse osmosis and UV filters are planned for the future as the water has a lot of minerals in it and I'd like to be able to for guests (I recently started Airbnb-ing) to be able to drink and cook from the taps if they wish.

Folks who have only ever lived in first world countries can't appreciate what they have!

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
I agree.

Was hearing today how thieves are standing next to assistants in shops and saying I'm going to steel all those goods now and there's nothing you can do about it, and just filling a bag whilst standing right next to them. The assistants are no longer allowed to intervene so can only stand there and watch!
Pretty much the same in Canada. The liquor stores in Ontario (government run) were big targets for a while. The police started tracking folks down and it seems to have had the desired effect.

Pretty sad when an owner has to stand by for fear of his safety while someone cleans the place out.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I agree.

Was hearing today how thieves are standing next to assistants in shops and saying I'm going to steel all those goods now and there's nothing you can do about it, and just filling a bag whilst standing right next to them. The assistants are no longer allowed to intervene so can only stand there and watch!
It is turning into a nasty lawless state for petty crimes where the police aren’t even vaguely interested as they are too busy.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
It is turning into a nasty lawless state for petty crimes where the police aren’t even vaguely interested as they are too busy.
Yeah I gather the assistants are instructed to do it now for their own safety so as to avoid being stabbed.

This shows how bad the UK has become (bit ad intensive - put 2 sites up so as to give you a choice in case regionally blocked):

Sorry to hijack the thread. Your new camera looks great!

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
Got up on the roof today and swung the camera to the west. We're expecting a good dose of rain today so I'm hoping to get some better footage.

We're headed into hurricane seasons so we'll get, at least, a good couple storms. Would be neat to get a hurricane recorded but there's a lot of cons to having a hurricane pass over!

20230827_120556.png

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Got up on the roof today and swung the camera to the west. We're expecting a good dose of rain today so I'm hoping to get some better footage.

We're headed into hurricane seasons so we'll get, at least, a good couple storms. Would be neat to get a hurricane recorded but there's a lot of cons to having a hurricane pass over!

View attachment 170926
Last video was also nice, but it does trigger my OCD a little with the AC tubing blocking the corner of the view. :p

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
Oh, in the bottom left of the frame, that's the 2431 with the 25mm lens jammed into it. Need to adjust the upstairs neighbour's AC tubing and better align that camera.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah I gather the assistants are instructed to do it now for their own safety so as to avoid being stabbed.

This shows how bad the UK has become (bit ad intensive - put 2 sites up so as to give you a choice in case regionally blocked):

Sorry to hijack the thread. Your new camera looks great!
Thank you! Not quite a new camera. When I mounted the modified 2431 with the 25mm lens, I turned this into a weather cam.

The cam with the 25mm lens is now doing the duty of watching the problem house on the block. And much better coverage than before!