Lightning issues

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I have recently installed a PoE switch in my garage. This switch provides PoE connectivity to three cameras. I’m having issues with lightning in the area reseting the switch.

These cameras are anywhere from 100’ to 175’ from the switch. One of the 100’ runs is buried completely in conduit except for the last 30’. The last 30’ is laying underneath about 6 inches of mulch. The other two runs are the same with the last 75’ or so under mulch, leaves etc.

Lightning can just be nearby without a <1 mile strike and the switch will reset every now and then. The switch is plugged into a properly grounded, GFCI circuit and surge a protecting outlet in the garage.

What do you think I should check or try to prevent this from happening?

Thanks!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you getting voltage spikes / sags in the line voltage that powers the DC supply for the POE switch(es)? Insure that the switch power supply is on a UPS (battery backup) as the BI server/NVR should already be on.

Not sure what you have in the conduit and underground, but maybe shielded CAT-5e or 6 would mitigate damaging, induced static from nearby strikes, with shielded RJ-45 connectors and properly installed and grounded Ethernet/POE surge protectors at the ends like the Ubiquiti ETH-SP.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I'm not exactly sure what I'm getting that's causing the switch to reset. A small UPS sounds like a good addition. In the ground, it's direct burial Cat 6, not shielded. I don't have each run with it's own ethernet surge arrestors, I only have the Ubiquiti one that goes between the garage switch to the 24-port switch in my tech closet inside the house.

What's the smallest ethernet surge protectors that will work, can they be grounded to a wall stud?

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not exactly sure what I'm getting that's causing the switch to reset. A small UPS sounds like a good addition.
I'd start with the UPS.
What's the smallest ethernet surge protectors that will work, can they be grounded to a wall stud?
No, they need to go to earth ground, a short run with no sharp bends.

I've used these in the past, one sacrificed itself after about 2 years in place, I think of it as a $16 fuse protecting from a surge into the Ethernet port of a much more costly PC. Insure the wall outlet is grounded properly then screw its green/yellow wire to the receptacle's center screw for the face plate; maybe not the best in the world but I can attest to it doing its job at least once. It's about 1" x 1" x 2-3/4". ==>> Qooltek ST-NET Ethernet Surge Protector for 10/100/1000 Base-T PoE+ Gigabit Modem Thunder & Lighting Protection ST-RJ45

inline-ethernet-surge-protector.jpg

Last edited:

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I'd start with the UPS.

No, they need to go to earth ground, a short run with no sharp bends.

I've used these in the past, one sacrificed itself after about 2 years in place, I think of it as a $16 fuse protecting from a surge into the Ethernet port of a much more costly PC. Insure the wall outlet is grounded properly then screw its green/yellow wire to the receptacle's center screw for the face plate; maybe not the best in the world but I can attest to it doing its job at least once. It's about 1" x 1" x 2-3/4". ==>> Qooltek ST-NET Ethernet Surge Protector for 10/100/1000 Base-T PoE+ Gigabit Modem Thunder & Lighting Protection ST-RJ45

View attachment 168120
Much appreciated. Fortunately I have a ground rod on the outside of the garage very close to the switch location. I'll start looking for a UPS.