Lightning killed POE switch...do I need to re-network everything cameras again?

buddythacat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So we had a typical storm the other day and this one included a lightning strike to our backyard tree and at the same time, created a surge that killed a my POE switch, tv, modem, router, etc. I recently got my replacement POE switch, modem and router all new....so obviously my IPs have changed. Since I originally changed the IPs of my cameras (after switching my iMac to the same subnet as my IPs) to the same subnet of my router, am I going to need to do this again since I have a new modem/router?

What is the easiest way to do this since all my cameras are mounted and cat6 cable is running across my attic down to my master closet. Would I do the following to re-network each camera again:

1. Log into my iMac
  2. Go to network settings
  3. While logged into *new* home wifi, go to DCHP with manual IP
  4. Input IP subnet that matches my current cameras - (all set to 192.168.29.xx)
  5. Log into camera
  6. Change IP to *new* IP that matches the subnet of my new network - (currently sits at 192.168.0.xx)
  7. Test each camera in PSS just for the heck of it
  8. Re-network ION NVR
  9. Voila?

Please advise as I am without perimeter cameras for now a week :( I only have my Ring doorbell and Nest cam active :(

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
that sounds about right, but chances are few devices also plugged into that PoE switch survived unscathed.. lightning is a bitch like that.

If you set all your cameras up to use DHCP originally then this would not be such a big deal.. I'd suggest configuring them all for DHCP IP addresses and then give them static dhcp assignments on your router.

buddythacat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Should I go ahead and unmount each camera and plug them with a new cat6 cable into the new Prosafe JGS516PE switch to see which are dead? I did find it odd that only 4/5 of 8 cameras actually showed up on the new switch and as POE faults to make things worse... how else could I test if these cameras are shot/dead? Any cheap (ha!) suggestions to prevent this from happening or lessening the blow...I know lightning is a whole other level in terms of surges...so I doubt it.

buddythacat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'd suggest configuring them all for DHCP IP addresses and then give them static dhcp assignments on your router.
I read somewhere that at the moment when my ISP changes the IP (recycles after 6months/year/etc) that it would affect my cameras...maybe I read it all wrong...but DHCP does sound infinitely easier to deal with verses me having to do this each time lightning kills my camera :O

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
your ISP changes your routers external IP address, has no effect on your internal addressing.

and I would concur with your conclusion, with such a near hit you should probably bench test everything for a good while.. some devices may appear to work fine at first, but are no longer reliable and start presenting weird issues.. on a bench you can trouble shoot and rule out most possible external issues more quickly.

The biggest disadvantage to a DHCP configured IP Network is that it requires a DHCP server to be up and running, it does add a potential point of failure.. but I think the advantages outweigh the risk.. good reliable equipment mitigates that issue very well.