Lightning may have damaged my cameras!

TheWhiteKnight

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You should tie surge ground to your electric service entrance ground. Two separate unbounded ground points will cause potential difference during a lighting strike and damage your equipment.
Is it because even though it is "NOT part of any full-time, current sourcing or current sinking device or system" it can cause the potential difference in the rare event the lightning strike cause both grounds to be used simultaneously?

GCoco

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If ground rods are not bonded together there will a potential difference when lightning is directed through one of them. The Earth has impedance and as the current travels through the dirt to the second rod there will be voltage difference between them. This voltage will travel through your equipment and damage it.

TheWhiteKnight

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If ground rods are not bonded together there will a potential difference when lightning is directed through one of them. The Earth has impedance and as the current travels through the dirt to the second rod there will be voltage difference between them. This voltage will travel through your equipment and damage it.
Understood but doesn't that mean closely neighboring properties will already suffer this fate anyway? Our grounds aren't bonded with the neighbors ground which in some cases can be under 20-30ft apart.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You should tie surge ground to your electric service entrance ground. Two separate unbonded ground points will cause potential difference during a lighting strike and damage your equipment.
What do you mean by "unbonded"?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You should tie surge ground to your electric service entrance ground. Two separate unbonded ground points will cause potential difference during a lighting strike and damage your equipment.
I disagree when the rods are separated by 20 to 50 feet and the new rod is tied only to the surge protector for the camera.

If ground rods are not bonded together there will a potential difference when lightning is directed through one of them.
Not so. I'm not going to sink a rod for a surge protector near an outdoor IP camera then run a wire 20 or 50 feet to bond that ground rod to my house's electrical system ground rod. That 20 to 50 foot conductor would guarantee a possible potential difference and therefore increase the likelihood of current travel!
The Earth has impedance and as the current travels through the dirt to the second rod there will be voltage difference between them.
It's because of the HIGH impedance due to the separate ground rods being 20 to 50 feet apart that lightning has NO reason to travel from one rod to the other rod if grounded to earth properly at the point of ESD arrest by the surge protection.

This voltage will travel through your equipment and damage it.
Again...not so, IMO.

I'm talking about arresting induced static /ESD from nearby, high-energy lightning strikes which occur in greater numbers and with greater frequency; I hold little hope in preventing damage from a direct hit from lightning.

In summary: We agree to disagree.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
However, anyone is free to do whatever they think is best.
And I think that's the best way to leave it: Say what you have to say and move on. There are plenty of other places where grounding is debated ad infinitum. I do want to mention one lightning related item. I have a couple of magnetic driveway sensors connected to the NVR's external event inputs, over a few hundred feet of wire each. I was uncomfortable connecting such a wire run directly to the NVR and ran it through optoisolator chips inside the house. Last spring, a nearby lightning hit took out one of the sensors and fried the optoisolator chips, but did no detectable damage to the NVR. In addition to replacing the fried sensor, I upgraded the optoisolators into sockets.

TheWhiteKnight

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I must be new to this can of worms because I can't believe there isn't a definitive studied answer regarding this. Cool mystery I suppose thank you for the replies!