Lightning protection for ethernet cables

Clutch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Once winter fades away, I'm going to need to run some ethernet cables to out buildings to support ipcams using POE.

I haven't found much about lightning protection. If a camera gets hit, well so sad, but I don't want to have routers and my pc and other wired networked devices harmed.

Am I worried too much, are there protective devices, please educate me on this subject.

Thank you,

Clutch

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Once winter fades away, I'm going to need to run some ethernet cables to out buildings to support ipcams using POE.

I haven't found much about lightning protection. If a camera gets hit, well so sad, but I don't want to have routers and my pc and other wired networked devices harmed.

Am I worried too much, are there protective devices, please educate me on this subject.

Thank you,

Clutch
Either run fiber optic to the building or use a Ubiquity Nano Wireless bridge....with proper surge protection as suggested by Ubiquity.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Lightning has a pretty hard time traversing fiber optic cable ;) it's less expensive than you might imagine. You could always have a whole house UL listed lightning protection system installed, spikes on the roof and all. You can ground the metal housing of the cameras. There's usually a screw labeled for a ground connection.

If you describe the locations of the buildings and distances involved and post a diagram or satellite view it's easier to offer more specific advice.
Do you already have power at the buildings?

Last edited:

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Besides Ethernet surge protectors what else can be done?
My cam network will be fiber uplink from garage switch to house switch and fiber uplink from house switch to BI PC. The house switch to BI PC already is fiber. The garage to house will be when the cable can be buried.

botics

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What options are there for unshielded ethernet in an attic? I only know of APC Surge Module for CAT6 or CAT5/5e Network Line, Replaceable, 1U, use with an APC Chassis

BZNCrew

n3wb
Reaction score
I've got a POE camera on a pole away from the house with Cat5 running underground to the house. Before it enters the house it connects to a Ubiquiti ETH-SP-G2.
Once inside it connects to an Ethernet to Fiber adapter and 1 meter of fiber back to another fiber to ethernet adapter where it connects to the house network.

This grounding and isolation seems reasonable until I look at the Fiber-Ethernet adapters. They are both plugged into the same power strip.

How can I totally isolate one side of the Eth-fiber from the power supplies?

It would seem lighting could still travel through the adapter, through the power brick into the power strip and into the other power brick and into the house side network.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
If super concerned with lighting... could always construct a dedicated lightning pole that sits well above any of your equipment. Tis what Telephone Central Offices do. All their equip in floor mount racks. We had to install serious grounding wire all across the ceiling as the highest copper point along with robust lightning poles on the outside.