Lightning surge protection

Dunn

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys, installing 4 new cams onto the top of a rather tall wooden post 25-30 feet. It already has a lightning rod on the pole with a good ground. Would something like this be sufficient to protect my system if I install it on the inside of my house? Currently don't have any dedicated surge protection on my other 9 cameras which are installed under the eaves of my house other than the surge protection offered by my UPS power supply units (one for a POE switch the other for my NVR) which would, hopefully, protect the rest of my network. Very confused with what I need after looking through the forums and other sites. Thanks much guys.

-Dunn

This is what I was looking at for these 4 cams:

Indoor 4-Port 10/100/1000 Base-T Gas Tube CAT6 Lightning Protector - RJ45 Jacks

Indoor 4-Port 10/100/1000 Base-T Gas Tube CAT6 Lightning Protector - RJ45 Jacks - CMSP-CAT6T-4

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don’t know. At my business I put them on all outdoor cameras, except 1 camera which is ceiling mounted inside a outdoor vestibule.

Aengus4h

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Should note that your UPS's won't really protect your network in a strike. It may give some protection if the spike comes down the power line, but if its come via the LAN cable then it could well hit everything connected on the LAN side of the switch. Well worth putting protection on the LAN cables that go out to those cameras, one at the house end and another at the camera pole end per cable.

Depending on how far else you want to go... I have suppressors on the satellite cables, TV aerial and phone/dsl lines as well as UPS on all the IT/camera/TV-satellite receiver etc

Dunn

n3wb
Reaction score
Should note that your UPS's won't really protect your network in a strike. It may give some protection if the spike comes down the power line, but if its come via the LAN cable then it could well hit everything connected on the LAN side of the switch. Well worth putting protection on the LAN cables that go out to those cameras, one at the house end and another at the camera pole end per cable.

Depending on how far else you want to go... I have suppressors on the satellite cables, TV aerial and phone/dsl lines as well as UPS on all the IT/camera/TV-satellite receiver etc
Thanks for the info, ill get one for the house and camera like you suggested.

Dunn

n3wb
Reaction score
So i ended up getting the following:
-three of these to go indoor to the 3 pole cams; placement right before exiting building. Thinking about grounding it to a steel beam in the basement:
BT-CAT5E-P1-HP Midspan/Injector Kit with 48VDC @ 48 W Power Supply
BT-CAT5E-P1-HP Midspan/Injector Kit with 48VDC @ 48 W Power Supply - BT-CAT5E-P1-HP-4848

-three of these to install at the camera locations and ground to the existing grounding line:
Compact Weatherproof 10/100 Base-T CAT5e Lightning Surge Protector - RJ45 Jacks
Compact Weatherproof 10/100 Base-T CAT5e Lightning Surge Protector - RJ45 Jacks - ALS-CAT5EJWP

-One of these for the cams under my eaves
Indoor 8-Port Med Power 10/100 Base-T CAT5 Lightning Surge Protector
Indoor 8-Port Med Power 10/100 Base-T CAT5 Lightning Surge Protector - CMSP-CAT5-8

-2 of these as a secondary from my POE switch and NVR to protect the rest of my lan network.
Ubiquiti ETH-SP-G2 Surge Suppressor/Protector
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079HXKRW1/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

-2 of these as a tertiary for my two desktops
APC PNET1GB ProtectNet Standalone Surge Protector for 100/1000 Base - T Ethernet Lines
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BKUSS8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Will be running the cable with this cat5e outdoor/burial cabling and using a trencher to go to the appropriate depths:
DC-1042 Outdoor Shielded Gel Tape CAT5e FTP Cable
DC-1042 Outdoor Shielded Gel Tape CAT5e FTP Cable

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

I'll update when I install... or have issues xD

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
...Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?...
If you're going to bury that cable I'd go with double jacketed GEL-FILLED, not gel-taped bro. And I'd also consider putting gel-filled cable in conduit if it's going underground.

Dunn

n3wb
Reaction score
If you're going to bury that cable I'd go with double jacketed GEL-FILLED, not gel-taped bro. And I'd also consider putting gel-filled cable in conduit if it's going underground.
big enough issue to return what I have now?

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would. Others might not. What say ye others?

That Shireen cable is mighty good stuff imo.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So i ended up getting the following:
-three of these to go indoor to the 3 pole cams; placement right before exiting building. Thinking about grounding it to a steel beam in the basement:
BT-CAT5E-P1-HP Midspan/Injector Kit with 48VDC @ 48 W Power Supply
BT-CAT5E-P1-HP Midspan/Injector Kit with 48VDC @ 48 W Power Supply - BT-CAT5E-P1-HP-4848
Not sure if that's such a good idea if that beam is part of your structure. Is that steel beam bonded directly to a ground rod driven into the earth?

FYI, I just happened to post this on another thread regarding surge protection and grounding of STP to outdoor cams.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would. Others might not. What say ye others?

That Shireen cable is mighty good stuff imo.
Their own spec page says "direct burial' and since it'll be in conduit (which will wind up with water in it at some point anyway) it'll have mechanical protection from rodent and errant shovels...I'd keep it and put it in PVC conduit.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I can’t agree Tony; why use a hand saw when a sabre saw is available? Gel-filled cable will provide much better moisture protection than gel-taped. Send it back IMO. BTW, that Shireen Gel-filled cable makes a mess; get a big bottle of alcohol based hand cleaner to wash the twisted pairs (and your hands) during installation.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I can’t agree Tony; ......
I would have been surprised if you did, quite frankly.:rolleyes:

.....Gel-filled cable will provide much better moisture protection than gel-taped. Send it back IMO. BTW, that Shireen Gel-filled cable makes a mess; get a big bottle of alcohol based hand cleaner to wash the twisted pairs (and your hands) during installation.
I know, worked with it too many times in 30+ years when I had to. For me, I wouldn't have bought gel-taped or gel filled in the first place. I've never had moisture migration issues, mildew or algae in direct burial-rated cable with HDPE outer jackets when pulled in properly into conduit.