Lightning

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
I lost the POE+ function of a 16 channel switch a couple of weekends ago during a lightning storm. Same power supply in the switch supplys both the 12 volt and the 52 volt. Just lost the 52 volt. The 12 volt works fine and the switch powers on and functions just fine, But no POE+. Lightning does strange things.....

Phil.g00

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@garycrist, You are correct.
This is why earthing wires and cables should not have unnecessary bends and coils and have minimum magnetic proximity to other metals.
(IOW: don't put the earth cabling in metal conduit).
The preferred path of charge to Earth must have as little impedance (inductance) as possible.
Basically this could be improved upon:
1689010590316.png

Last edited:

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
I was running 900 MHz Loop Yagis for early "wireless internet" with the below antenna in
Prescott AZ. Another company got the bid after I had done all the work w/ specs etc.
(the guys relative did the job) The best part was all the equipment they were FRYING from
lightning!

They called me out to fix THEIR problem! One look told the whole story. They had mounted

this monstrosity to a concrete hose tower sticking out 4 feet on top of a granite hill. Not even
a lightning rod except for 6 feet of Loop Yagi to harvest all the lightning it could gather.

1689011211255.png

I could get about 10 to 15 miles, E1 speed back when everyone wanted a T1..:love:
All with "cash register" cards.