limited knowledge in POE looking for advice

Mcllisms

n3wb
Reaction score
I am very new to POE and security cameras , I have some general questions below... I have already setup Blue Iris with Reolink camera but I dont like the cameras .. so I am looking for :
Please I have a general question --

I am looking for POE camera for my house both inside and outside with these specifications :
1. audio recording
2. IR and night vision
3. some with two way audio
4. some ptz

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah reolinks perform poorly especially at night.

A lot more info is needed such as purpose (identify or observe, etc.), but see this thread for the most commonly recommended camera based on the the distance to IDENTIFY. These recommendations represent the best overall value in terms of price, performance day and night, and reliability.

Remember one camera cannot be the be all/see all. Each one is selected for a purpose.

Mcllisms

n3wb
Reaction score

A lot more info is needed such as purpose (identify or observe, etc.), but see this thread for the most commonly recommended camera based on the the distance to IDENTIFY. These recommendations represent the best overall value in terms of price, performance day and night, and reliability.

Remember one camera cannot be the be all/see all. Each one is selected for a purpose.

thats very true. I need all the above and clarity in audio recording

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You will find that two-way talk is kinda gimmicky. It is more like walkie-talkie talking.

Audio on these types of cameras are not great. If you want clarity in audio, you are better off to add an external mic to one of the many cameras recommended that have an audio in cable.

The cameras on that thread I posted are the recommendations most will give here.

Shpyda

n3wb
Reaction score

I’m in a similar boat. I‘be been using an Amazon buy Reolink set and even though it was a huge improvement over my wireless battery cams, I was still pretty disappointed with the end results. I just set up a Blue Iris system with adequate specs and would like to start improving the cameras (mostly Reolink RLC-810A). I see a good amount of recommendations for Dahua and have been a bit intrigued, but can’t seem to hone in on a best pic for my scenario. I want to stay in the $150 to $300 max per camera, bullet style, mostly For identification (though I’ll likely need a bit of variety), functions well with Blue Iris, good night vision, and built-in audio input. I live in a wooded area, and although security is my primary focus, I’d like it to detect animal activity as well. My current cameras almost never detect night activity although I know there is a lot of animal traffic. I looked at this camera and wonder if this would perform satisfactorily or if I should be looking in a different direction? Should I only be looking to varifocal lenses? I’d really appreciate feedback on this.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

pa driver

n3wb
Reaction score
I would go for the hikvision darkfighter. Good for day and night. Don't use een wifi but use the cable !!! The more MP the higher the price. But good quality!!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I’m in a similar boat. I‘be been using an Amazon buy Reolink set and even though it was a huge improvement over my wireless battery cams, I was still pretty disappointed with the end results. I just set up a Blue Iris system with adequate specs and would like to start improving the cameras (mostly Reolink RLC-810A). I see a good amount of recommendations for Dahua and have been a bit intrigued, but can’t seem to hone in on a best pic for my scenario. I want to stay in the $150 to $300 max per camera, bullet style, mostly For identification (though I’ll likely need a bit of variety), functions well with Blue Iris, good night vision, and built-in audio input. I live in a wooded area, and although security is my primary focus, I’d like it to detect animal activity as well. My current cameras almost never detect night activity although I know there is a lot of animal traffic. I looked at this camera and wonder if this would perform satisfactorily or if I should be looking in a different direction? Should I only be looking to varifocal lenses? I’d really appreciate feedback on this.

That is a great camera and a lot less complaints from this one than people that buy the Hikvisiion equivalent at night than the Dahua Full-Color version.

Or maybe the people that buy the Hikvision version are naive and think they are magic and the ones that buy the Dahua version are educated as to the proper placement for this type of camera LOL...

The biggest thing you have to watch for Full Color, ColorVu, Darkfighter, etc. is that most of these cannot see infrared light, so you either need enough white light or be willing to use the built-in white LEDs.

The camera you linked has 4 white lights compared to the Hikvision with two, so that is part of the reason there are less complaints.

So since you live in a rural area, you may not have enough light for one of these unless you are willing to run the camera with the white LEDs on.

So a good 4K camera (on the 1/1.2" sensor) are not available in varifocal yet.

Is there a reason you want a bullet over a turret style? Turret is not a dome. Many turrets come with built-in audio.

Based on what you are saying, unless you are willing to run the white LED or you have enough light, I would stay away from Full Color type cameras and go with the 5442 series cameras.

The 5442 series cameras represent the best all around camera to many people. Further to many people 4MP is more than adequate.

The 5442 series comes in fixed lens, and a turret varifocal and bullet varfocal. It can also see infrared.

And since wildlife is an important feature you want, you would want to rollback the firmware. The biggest thing you will see with newer cameras is that the AI is designed to eliminate triggering on animals.

Shpyda

n3wb
Reaction score
That is a great camera and a lot less complaints from this one than people that buy the Hikvisiion equivalent at night than the Dahua Full-Color version.

Or maybe the people that buy the Hikvision version are naive and think they are magic and the ones that buy the Dahua version are educated as to the proper placement for this type of camera LOL...

The biggest thing you have to watch for Full Color, ColorVu, Darkfighter, etc. is that most of these cannot see infrared light, so you either need enough white light or be willing to use the built-in white LEDs.

The camera you linked has 4 white lights compared to the Hikvision with two, so that is part of the reason there are less complaints.

So since you live in a rural area, you may not have enough light for one of these unless you are willing to run the camera with the white LEDs on.

Is there a reason you want a bullet over a turret style? Turret is not a dome. Many turrets come with built-in audio.

Based on what you are saying, unless you are willing to run the white LED or you have enough light, I would stay away from Full Color type cameras and go with the 5442 series cameras.

The 5442 series cameras represent the best all around camera to many people. Further to many people 4MP is more than adequate.

The 5442 series comes in fixed lens, and a turret varifocal and bullet varfocal. It can also see infrared.

And since wildlife is an important feature you want, you would want to rollback the firmware. The biggest thing you will see with newer cameras is that the AI is designed to eliminate triggering on animals.

I'm not fully opposed to turret style, but as you can see in the second photo, things are not going very well for me mounting on the soffit of the house and I don't think it's proper to put a turret camera off the face of the siding, Am I thinking incorrectly? I am going to fix that camera mount by the way and it was always meant to be temporary, but I was thinking about shifting it from the soffit to the siding using a plate like shown in the first picture. The third picture shows a corner for which I need to add a camera and I wasn't sure if I'd be able to get a turret style in there properly at an angle that was satisfactory. And finally, in the first picture, I wasn't sure what type of camera would best replace the Reolink Duo. I would like something of higher quality, but I really do appreciate its field of view. Can you make a good recommendation for these areas? if you think that the 5442 series would best help me to address these concerns and give me a better view overall, then I'd be very happy to look in this direction. I'm just trying to make good decisions, and if mastering soffit installs is the way, then I'm all for moving forward with that.

Also, would I need to be concerned with the firmware of the camera for wildlife detection if I'm having CodeProject.AI within Blue Iris do all of the recognition processing?

Attachments

Shpyda

n3wb
Reaction score

I ordered the camera you recommended and will give it a try. Specifically this guy . I appreciate the recommendation.