Live camera on a cell tower

TRLcam

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I had the opportunity to install a IP camera cellular monopole. The camera is a 2mp Dahua PTZ. I use this same camera on many other installations and it has proven to be very dependable. The camera is at the 125' level on the monopole.

I installed the camera below the dish to hopefully prevent falling ice from damaging the camera.

The 1080P 60fps video is run into a Raspberry Pi to convert it from RTSP to RTMP and then sent to YouTube Livestream over a fiber internet link. For a look at the Lincoln, NE skyline, check out the link below.

Last edited:

aesterling

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That’s great! Did you do the install yourself or coordinate it with someone? Any concerns about physical access if you need to reset or power cycle any equipment? How’d you get access to power and network?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Is that the barrel effect of the lens in wide zoom or the actual curvature of the earth? I've noticed the curvature of the earth at 350-500 feet when on towers, but never actually looked when on a 125 footer.

TRLcam

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is that the barrel effect of the lens in wide zoom or the actual curvature of the earth? I've noticed the curvature of the earth at 350-500 feet when on towers, but never actually looked when on a 125 footer.
Not the curvature of the earth. If the horizon was adjusted to the center of the frame, the earth would be flat.

TRLcam

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That’s great! Did you do the install yourself or coordinate it with someone? Any concerns about physical access if you need to reset or power cycle any equipment? How’d you get access to power and network?
The camera runs into a Ubiquiti 24v/48v switch that enables me to power cycle the camera and other networking equipment remotely.

My business partner and I own a few rental towers around the state. So, access to the tower, power and network was easy.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Wauw! If camera zooms in to the end, the image is sooo wobby, is that because of the wind on the tower/cam? Who is controllling zoom? It does not seem to be AI triggered?

TRLcam

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Wauw! If camera zooms in to the end, the image is sooo wobby, is that because of the wind on the tower/cam? Who is controllling zoom? It does not seem to be AI triggered?
All towers sway in the wind. Monopoles more than other types of towers. The camera is set to tour between presets. No operator.

EDIT:

Check back tomorrow (Sunday) The weather guys are predicting gusts up to 55mph. That should make the pole sway.

Last edited:

TRLcam

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
We did a little upgrade to the tower camera. The 2mp Dahua was replaced with a Dahua 8A840WANF 4K. So now if you click on the link you can watch in 4K.

It's a little snowy here today. The wiper and camera heat are really nice this time of the year.

When the camera zooms in on the state capital building, that is six miles from the camera.

Last edited:

CANCAM32

n3wb
Reaction score
Curious how the connection works to the internet. Do you have it/the raspberry pi connected into the cellular company's network at the tower base?

TRLcam

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have gigabit fiber internet service run to the tower from a local provider. I live about five miles from the tower, so I also have a Ubiquiti LTU link on the tower to get internet to my house.

Here is a updated YouTube link.

Last edited:

CANCAM32

n3wb
Reaction score
Appreciate the reply! Sounds like you've got a good setup. Do you think it could also work if it was wired into the cellular network, as opposed to having a separate provider as you currently do? Just exploring options for a similar idea.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Anybody have any ideas on how to monetize the video stream?
You can't. You need a 1,000 channel subsrcibers 1st and 4,000 hours of watch time in the last 12 months:

I'm guessing 1,000 subscribers will be tough for cctv cameras on an aerial pole unless something spectacular happens regularly (they can also with draw you monetizationif the hours or subscribers fall below the limits).

TRLcam

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The camera has 213 subs now. We gain a few every time a storm rolls in from the west. 1000 subs will probably never happen but it is fun to watch. The Dahua 4K camera is performing well and I have installed a few of the same model at different locations for customers. So, this camera makes a great sales demonstration.