Live View inconsistent on Web or iVms-4200

proxybox

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
NVR: DS-7608NI-E2 / 8P V(3.4.98 build 171121)
Camera 1 & 3: DS-2CD2232-I5 (V5.4.5 build 170123)
Camera 2: DS-2CD2732F-IS (V5.4.5 build 17023)
Camera 4: DS-2CD2332-I (V5.45 build 17023)

I've been researching and trying to find patterns in my Live View streams going blank on certain cameras. On my HDMI connected television the cameras are all visible in a 2x2 or single screen without issue.

On web interface:
At night, I can get a 2x2 or single to work with all four cameras without issue with the video quality set to Highest. I tried adjusting the frame rate and max bit rate but that doesn't change the behavior at all. I have left the resolution at 2048x1536 on all cameras.

During the day, I get 1, 2 or 3 cameras to work with the same settings with no pattern. If I adjust two cameras (1 & 2) down to Low and two (3 & 4) at Medium, 2x2 works and single as well The weird thing is only Camera 1 and 2 can be placed on low for this to work. If I reverse the settings, nothing will show on camera 1 and 2 under Medium. If I view all just the sub-stream, there never is an issue.

On iVms-4200 (V2.8.1.4 build 20181124):
Things get really inconsistent here. At night it usually works without issue. During the day, 4x4 or single don't usually work on most of the cameras. In fact, the screen seems to lock up. Although, If I switch it to 3x3 or 4x4 it works perfectly. With the two at Medium and two and Low it works fine.

What do you guys have your Main Stream (Normal), (Event) and Sub-stream set to? I know my system is old so I figured there would be guys who tinkered here.

proxybox

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Update: After resetting my NVR and cameras to default and reprogramming everything I narrowed this issue down to one camera. The DS-2CD2732F-IS (V5.4.5 build 17023) only works in Live view with the Video Quality set to Low on the nvr and the remaining settings as pictured. On live view on the web interface of the camera directly it shows live view video quality set to highest. Also, at night live view works on the nvr at the highest setting. Only during the day time is affected on the nvr.

Attachments

Last edited:

proxybox

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Update: pulled all the other cameras and limited it to the 2732f. Reflashed firmware on the nvr and rebooted. Still no go even with just one camera installed. Weird thing is I can get any video quality through the virtual host web interface of the camera. Just not the nvr. I also tried using different ports on the nvr without success

proxybox

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Update: Over the weekend, I decided to take the time and flash to the original ds-76xxni-e1e2p_usa_firmware_v3.1.0_150511 on the NVR. At that point, I can crank the quality to higher on all the cameras without issue. It turns out that firmware limited feeds to 50 Mbps. The next available firmware ds-76xxni-e1e2p_usa_firmware_3.3.4_150811 (I couldn't find the 3.2 series) bumped the limit to 80 Mpbs. The behavior noted above with the 2732f suddenly appeared. Also, that firmware also introduced VCA functions like line crossing. I'm sure these add additional loads to the processor and encoder so that must explain why I can't crank the quality up like before. Hopefully, that explains it but I would appreciate the experts here to help with my theory. Nonetheless, I upgraded up the path with the USA files and then switched over the European ones since they have newer versions. I searched the history to see if anyone else experienced similar issues when they upgraded back when the newer firmware were introduced but didn't see any mentions.

Capture2.PNG
Capture3.PNG

I started using line crossing and can't go back so I'll have to make a compromise. I use the settings shown. I also had to adjust the I-frame interval to 25 in order for the 2732f to work. The image sometimes doesn't appear in live view but I noticed it still is recording so I can always view that camera in sub stream in those instances.

proxybox

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Interesting finding. If I change the I-frame interval to 12, the 2732f works up to the highest quality setting without issue with all else being held constant. The moment I change it to 13 the live view stutters on the NVR.