Live view stuttering and glitchy

2FREEQ

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am in the process of setting up blue iris.
My live view is choppy and pauses for a fraction of a second every second. It records perfectly smooth, only live view is affected. played around with all different FPS, Followed the post on here for maximising CPU usage etc, It's running as a service, Recording direct to disk
PC is a i9 10900k, 32gb (2x16gb) 3200mhz ram,1660 super GPU, 500GB SSD, WD Purple 4TB HDD.. Connected to router via ethernet cable.
Cameras are Dahua DH-IPC-HDW3841EMP-AS-0280B 8MP. Currently only 2 connected with 6 more being installed tomorrow. They are connected to a POE switch that`s connected to my router
Blue iris is using 8%cpu usage and 5.48gb ram

Any suggestions what to try next?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are your cameras going through the router? If so that could be the problem as wifi routers are not intended for the camera heavy 24/7 data. Unlike Netflix and other streaming services, these cameras do not buffer video. You need to either dual NIC the computer or VLAN the cameras so they are not passing through the router.

Do your FPS and iframes match - them them both at 15? Are you running H265 or H264 without smart codec?

Are substreams being used? I doubt it since you are 8% CPU on that machine. 2 cameras should be like 1%.

I encourage you to confirm every wiki for optimization is being followed - many people say they are, yet it is clear they are not.

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The blue Iris computer should be plugged into the same switch that the cameras are plugged into, not the router.
Be sure you have excluded Blue Iris folders and process's as per the BI help file, that includes windows defender.

2FREEQ

n3wb
Reaction score
Having the PC plugged into same switch as cameras makes no difference to live view video. I'll look into a dual NIC and see if that helps.

FPS and iframes are both set to 15 and sub streams are not being used. ill try to setup sub streams today and make sure blue iris is excluded.

curious to see what PC i should have built to use blue iris and use cameras to their full potential without having to dull down settings like FPS and using substreams. I followed the hardware recommended post and used the top cpu it recommended as apparently blue iris is cpu intensive and i still have to dull my cameras down with only 2 connected.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
curious to see what PC i should have built to use blue iris and use cameras to their full potential without having to dull down settings like FPS and using substreams.
Using subreams IS using the cameras to their full potential. Every single NVR works this way.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You have something else going on that is making that happen. I've got 17 cameras running with no "stuttering" on an old i7. Look in the Wiki in the blue bar at the top of the page. Read, and follow, the section on optimizing Blue Iris and like fenderman said disable limit decoding.

2FREEQ

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok got all 8 cameras installed and set-up in Blue Iris. With some tweaking and following some posts in the wiki I have my CPU usage at 3%. Next is to work out the remote viewing and notifications side of things but for now I am marvelling at the difference between my old swann picture quality to these 8mp Dahua cameras.