Local Console Login?

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Last update (i think).

I think it is cleaner on W 10 Pro, which is what it was supposed to be (probably messed up the original install choice a while back from the MS USB). I sucked it up and did one of those sketchy upgrades to the license key (home to pro) via the Win Settings > Update & Security > Activation > Upgrade your edition of Windows, select Change product key. I had my doubts, and would not be my first path of choice, but it was rather painless, fast and for minimal $$. Yah.

Anyway, i logged in when it was done upgrading to 10 Pro, and then deselected the need for a password, and Bob's my uncle on that one.

The last oddity is Blue Iris forgot that i was licensed after the OS change so i had to enter it for the third time (14 days left). Lets hope that sticks. I am pretty sure that i could have upgraded my ver 4 license for less $ if i was creative, but no big deal.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I am referring to deactivating BI before you did any work on upgrading the machine. If you didn't deactivate it BI thinks it is still on the original install of the machine. If that is, indeed, the case you'll need to contact BI support to get it straightened out. BI HAS to be deactivated from an old install prior to making a new install, otherwise the license is still considered active.

eilerle1

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm new to using Blue Iris. Purchased Blue Iris, the latest version 5.5.x. I have a brand new 21H1 Windows 10 Pro build, admin with NO password (as this is just a test run. Will format and start fresh once I am confident that I understand everything). Default install of Blue Iris, was following along in the YT vide from 'The Hook UP', just 30 seconds into the settings portion, get to the part about checking the box for run as a service, asks for the password for Admin, which is the name of the Windows acct...but there is NO password set. The reg key mentioned is present, see attached. Is the lack of a password on the Windows Admin account causing BI to choke as it expects an entry to be present for the password?

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm new to using Blue Iris. Purchased Blue Iris, the latest version 5.5.x. I have a brand new 21H1 Windows 10 Pro build, admin with NO password (as this is just a test run. Will format and start fresh once I am confident that I understand everything). Default install of Blue Iris, was following along in the YT vide from 'The Hook UP', just 30 seconds into the settings portion, get to the part about checking the box for run as a service, asks for the password for Admin, which is the name of the Windows acct...but there is NO password set. The reg key mentioned is present, see attached. Is the lack of a password on the Windows Admin account causing BI to choke as it expects an entry to be present for the password?
How did you set up Windows without an account/password? So if you turn the computer off and back on, it is not asking for a PW or PIN and goes right to your computer console?

eilerle1

n3wb
Reaction score
How did you set up Windows without an account/password? So if you turn the computer off and back on, it is not asking for a PW or PIN and goes right to your computer console?
During the initial Windows build, i remove the network cable, thereby allowing me to continue the windows setup with a local account without a password. I use a blank PW in the beginning due to the constant reboots for all the Windows updates, vendor updates, etc. I am about to go in and set a password and see if that helps.

eilerle1

n3wb
Reaction score
During the initial Windows build, i remove the network cable, thereby allowing me to continue the windows setup with a local account without a password. I use a blank PW in the beginning due to the constant reboots for all the Windows updates, vendor updates, etc. I am about to go in and set a password and see if that helps.
So I just went in, set the password on my Windows account, rebooted and went back into Blue Iris and was able to enable run as service. Blue Iris is expecting to see a password there. So apparently, if you have NOT set a password on the Windows account you are using, it will be a problem. Also, if you ever change the password on that Windows account, I would expect that you would need to come back in here and set the PW here as well.

This is why I like to do a test run through so that I anything that can go wrong, gets ironed out in the test lab.

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So I just went in, set the password on my Windows account, rebooted and went back into Blue Iris and was able to enable run as service. Blue Iris is expecting to see a password there. So apparently, if you have NOT set a password on the Windows account you are using, it will be a problem. Also, if you ever change the password on that Windows account, I would expect that you would need to come back in here and set the PW here as well.

This is why I like to do a test run through so that I anything that can go wrong, gets ironed out in the test lab.
I believe you are correct that BI expects a PW, and perhaps Windows sets one, even if you didn't, as i don't think i did. As i mentioned a few posts back, i fixed it by setting one with the "net user" command in an elevated shell.

HomieTheClown

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Been following this thread trying to figure it out. I am running Win 10 Home. So I wanted to get a straight answer here. To get BI to run as a service, you HAVE to set a password for your windows login so you can click on that option under startup that says "Run as a window service". I guess I'm confused that I can't run my computer where it instantly logs into windows with a password AND starts up BI as a service. What's the point of making BI a service if I have to manually log into windows with a bloody password.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
BI, I have found will still be running in the background doing its job, before you logon, once it's set as "run as a Service" ....even if the device somehow reboots after a power interuption, and is waiting for an administrator logon.
here's my setting.

Screenshot 2022-02-02 195600.png

HomieTheClown

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I ended up running task scheduler and setting up a .BAT file (made with notepad) to run at startup. I guess the only problem is it not running as a service and it crashes. Hmm…

jmhmcse

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Been following this thread trying to figure it out. I am running Win 10 Home. So I wanted to get a straight answer here. To get BI to run as a service, you HAVE to set a password for your windows login so you can click on that option under startup that says "Run as a window service". I guess I'm confused that I can't run my computer where it instantly logs into windows with a password AND starts up BI as a service. What's the point of making BI a service if I have to manually log into windows with a bloody password.

The preferred credentials for bi as a service is a user name and password, typically the one used to install bi.

if there is no specific requirement to have a blank password, windows can be configured to autologin using an account that has a password. add a password to the account, edit registry to autologin with password, add password to service.

OR

you could use "local system" as bi's service account, though doing this has limitations such as not being able to use a nas as bi storage.

OR

if you must have a blank password and need to have access to other network resources then try the following...

Never tried the following, though the following -should- work...
o create a windows admin account
o create bi user account, matching the newly created windows account
o login using new account (allow windows to establish profile, default files, etc)
o start bi
o enable run as service
o enter username and password of windows account to bi service credentials

bi will run under the new account and windows will autostart with no password

Last edited: