Local Console Login?

Beefarmer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Installed latest update and received Locale Console Login???? Not sure what that is... can't get in now.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Here's what the release notes say about it:

The software will prompt for a user login when the “require admin run-as administrator”
has been unchecked on the Settings/Startup page, now even when BlueIris.exe is run with
Windows administrator rights.

hotbrass

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My local_console does not have a password. Is there any reason to have a password on local_console?

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My local_console does not have a password. Is there any reason to have a password on local_console?
I'm not clear on the idea behind this change either. I tried entering the password login of the administrator account of that system and it didn't work. I didn't bother trying a user's (myself, for ex) password with the "local console" username. Instead I just downloaded the reg key that was posted in post#3 and ran that. Now it's acting like it did yesteday. Fine.

I wonder if this changes the way the instructions are done to have the system auto start (not just as a service).

jmhmcse

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm not clear on the idea behind this change either. I tried entering the password login of the administrator account of that system and it didn't work. I didn't bother trying a user's (myself, for ex) password with the "local console" username. Instead I just downloaded the reg key that was posted in post#3 and ran that. Now it's acting like it did yesteday. Fine.

I wonder if this changes the way the instructions are done to have the system auto start (not just as a service).
I've never used BI's local console account; actually it was disabled before the upgrade and enabled after the upgrade.

My first take was BI wanted a Windows user/pwd. When that failed I found this thread and regedit'ed the required key.

brad2388

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just click ok. Without using a password.

But the regedit get by the screen asking for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
leaving the new console password blank doesn't work for me. WTF is this?!

seriously... how can i access the console?... i've tried every password i can think of...

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
ok, ran BP2008's fixit thingee and i can get in again. but seriously, WTF?!

deonb

n3wb
Reaction score
I added the option to run as Administrator, but now in order to run Blue Iris it requires a LUA Elevation Prompt.

Is there a way I can get it to run as an ordinary Windows user without requiring a Blue Iris login?

LTek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I got stung by this too... they should have warned us and made it crystal clear the update would break those of us that run BI5 on a dedicated, un-manned, PC.

Remember, BI is VERY OLD software still using 20 year old code design. Its not designed to run as a service with a GUI that runs in the users space. Its a monolithic app that is made to run completely in the user space. I install it into my user profile (Documents folder) which helps but doesnt solve the larger issue. I suspect BI would require a large overhaul to bring it into out of the Win95 era.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Remember, BI is VERY OLD software still using 20 year old code design. Its not designed to run as a service with a GUI that runs in the users space. Its a monolithic app that is made to run completely in the user space. I install it into my user profile (Documents folder) which helps but doesnt solve the larger issue. I suspect BI would require a large overhaul to bring it into out of the Win95 era.
It is in fact designed to run as a service - that option is available in blue iris options startup. There is nothing gained by installing it in your documents folder.
This issue only arises if you are running as a service AND you unchecked the default run as administrator (this is why its important to know what you are checking or unchecking). You are then prompted to enter the a blue iris user name or password. It defaults to local_console whose password is blank by default or you can enter another user/pass.

This was always in the manual.
"
Blue Iris is security software, and as such requires Windows Administrator access to the PC.
All settings are also stored in the Windows system registry under a location only accessible
by a PC administrator. It is possible to configure the software to allow access by non-
administrators in a couple of ways
First, when running as a service, you can un-check the default option on the Startup page in
Settings to Require run-as Administrator. You must also:
• Configure a user/password on the Users page in Settings. The user will be prompted for
this when running the software. Although you may select Admin access for this account,
the user will only truly have Admin access if they are a Windows system administrator.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I added the option to run as Administrator, but now in order to run Blue Iris it requires a LUA Elevation Prompt.

Is there a way I can get it to run as an ordinary Windows user without requiring a Blue Iris login?
If you run the blue iris admin exe file it and have the run as admin check it wont ask you for a password. If you want to auto start blue iris with out the UAC prompt this works perfectly on win 7/8/10 Elevated Program Shortcut without UAC Prompt - Create - Windows 7 Help Forums

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I got stung by this too... they should have warned us and made it crystal clear the update would break those of us that run BI5 on a dedicated, un-manned, PC.

I agree with you but I want to make it clear that I do like and appreciate all the work that the owner has put into it. It's astounding that there aren't other options for hobbyists. Yes, I've seen and ran some of the linux variants that take a cell phone or similar raspberry pi and create something that "kinda works". I'm just sayin there's nothing close to the functionality of BI.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is in fact designed to run as a service - that option is available in blue iris options startup. There is nothing gained by installing it in your documents folder.
This issue only arises if you are running as a service AND you unchecked the default run as administrator (this is why its important to know what you are checking or unchecking). You are then prompted to enter the a blue iris user name or password. It defaults to local_console whose password is blank by default or you can enter another user/pass.

"
Blue Iris is security software, and as such requires Windows Administrator access to the PC.
All settings are also stored in the Windows system registry under a location only accessible
by a PC administrator. It is possible to configure the software to allow access by non-
First, when running as a service, you can un-check the default option on the Startup page in
• Configure a user/password on the Users page in Settings. The user will be prompted for
this when running the software. Although you may select Admin access for this account,
the user will only truly have Admin access if they are a Windows system administrator.

There seems to be a lot of confusion over the recent update.

@fenderman - hopefully to make it clear to everyone, are you saying that if your setup is this, then you will not get this Local Console Login issue:

1583603392362.png

I'm at Version 5.1.0.4 and haven't updated until this issue calms down, so I take it I can update and not experience the issues in this thread?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
There seems to be a lot of confusion over the recent update.

@fenderman - hopefully to make it clear to everyone, are you saying that if your setup is this, then you will not get this Local Console Login issue:

View attachment 56915

I'm at Version 5.1.0.4 and haven't updated until this issue calms down, so I take it I can update and not experience the issues in this thread?
correct. Also note that the "issue" folks are experiencing is related to failing to recall a change they made to the local_console password or not entering a BI user name and and password when prompted.

LTek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

"
BI is a user mode application that 'can' be run as a service... it was not designed, as I stated, to be (like a modern app would be) 2 separate items... a service + a user mode GUI. There is a Very Big difference in functionality. If it was this entire discussion would never happen... service would have admin rights and launch without any issue or user interaction needed. and when you open the GUI, it would load as a separate thread, separate service, in the user space. Most people would not know the difference unless they are coders, or work with coders for a living.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
BI is a user mode application that 'can' be run as a service... it was not designed, as I stated, to be (like a modern app would be) 2 separate items... a service + a user mode GUI. There is a Very Big difference in functionality. If it was this entire discussion would never happen... service would have admin rights and launch without any issue or user interaction needed. and when you open the GUI, it would load as a separate thread, separate service, in the user space. Most people would not know the difference unless they are coders, or work with coders for a living.
The service does launch and start without any interaction from the user. The gui does loads as a separate process.