Local murder captured on video (not my video)

ptzguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is a sad story of a homeowner in our county who was shot and killed in his own driveway exactly a year ago last Halloween night.

The perp was rummaging through a car belonging to the homeowner's girlfriend. The victim worked a very early shift and was leaving for work around 3:30 am when he saw someone in the car. He confronted the person, who, after a brief dialog, shot and killed him. If it were not for this video and audio, it is likely that the criminals involved might never have been identified.

Fortunately, they were stopped soon afterward by a cop who was suspicious of why these men were driving around in this area around 4am. That traffic stop captured live video of the car occupants from the police officer's body camera. I'm not sure if the officer who made the traffic stop was aware of the shooting that had occurred a short time earlier a few miles away, but they later connected the two events and were able to identify the car occupants. After a trial, the murderer was sent to state prison.

Note: this event took place in Midlothian, VA, about 12 miles west of Richmond, not Midlothian, TX. It is a pleasant and generally very safe place to live. I've lived there for over 15 years and there have been very few problems within a 5 mile radius. But, as you get closer to the Richmond city limits, conditions can change quickly. In recent years, there has been a lot of growth and new development, so traffic has increased a lot and there are a lot more cars coming from all over into what was a very quiet town ten years ago.

Last edited:

ptzguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is a sad story of a homeowner in our county who was shot and killed in his own driveway exactly a year ago last Halloween night.

The perp was rummaging through a car belonging to the homeowner's girlfriend. The victim worked a very early shift and was leaving for work around 3:30 am when he saw someone in the car. He confronted the person, who, after a brief dialog, shot and killed him. If it were not for this video and audio, it is likely that the criminals involved might never have been identified.

Fortunately, they were stopped soon afterward by a cop who was suspicious of why these men were driving around in this area around 4am. That traffic stop captured live video of the car occupants from the police officer's body camera. I'm not sure if the officer who made the traffic stop was aware of the shooting that had occurred a short time earlier a few miles away, but they later connected the two events and were able to identify the car occupants. After a trial, the murderer was sent to state prison.

Note: this event took place in Midlothian, VA, about 12 miles west of Richmond, not Midlothian, TX. It is a pleasant and generally very safe place to live. I've lived there for over 15 years and there have been very few problems within a 5 mile radius. But, as you get closer to the Richmond city limits, conditions can change quickly. In recent years, there has been a lot of growth and new development, so traffic has increased a lot and there are a lot more cars coming from all over into what was a very quiet town ten years ago.

Since there seems to be some interest in this story, here is a follow-up news report: