Local network IP Camera

kurak38

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
I am looking for IP Camera with Wi-Fi that I can setup to be local only. It is meant to be used as baby monitor, but most of the popular ones on Amazon are going through cloud and I don't want that. I found that Hikvision DS-2CD2442FWD-IW can work like that, it is $120. Anything else that would be cheaper?

I plan to give it only local IP address and access remotely via VPN, so I just want simple camera with IP and ability to access it via local network from PC only.

Thanks in advance

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Perhaps Amcrest 841. Generally WiFi cams are met with much disdain here. I have two of the 841s connected by WiFi and they seem OK. Eventually they'll get hardwired.

Havent paid any attention to the mic though, so can't say much about that.

kurak38

n3wb
Reaction score
Perhaps Amcrest 841. Generally WiFi cams are met with much disdain here. I have two of the 841s connected by WiFi and they seem OK. Eventually they'll get hardwired.

Havent paid any attention to the mic though, so can't say much about that.
Can you use it without internet connection? I see it has mobile app so I assumed it sends video stream to cloud first

lifeatredline

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The wifi ip cams that I have used work fine without internet. Some have option to turn off them contacting the cloud in their console, and others have to be jailed with the router, best to block them all from internet access.

Last edited:

dalepa

Reaction score
Its been awhile since ive had a baby, but if i were back in the game ide have to try out some if the smart baby cams like https://amzn.to/2UEH0Z4 Or https://amzn.to/2Y2Tlsi

No idea how well the features work, but it would be cool to have all the data like heattbeat and temperature and sleep patterns.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1 to what @Whoaru99 said.

I have installed 4 of these, the 720p Amcrest model IPM-721 for $50 (+ $15 for white). All have operated flawlessly for over 3 years now.

The bigger brother AmcrestIP2M-841is 1080p and $60. I have one on my bricked-in sunroom, runs wirelessly rock solid to a Unifi AP.

They're both re-branded Dahuas and offer wired/wireless, 2 way audio, SD card, P/T and digital zoom, alarm I/O, are ONVIF & Blue Iris compatible. Available in white, black and silver (+ $15 for silver).

I use Blue Iris and can hear their mic's audio well thru the PC speakers; haven't tried a mic on the PC to speak thru the cam though. That could freak out the infant anyway, IMO.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

kurak38

n3wb
Reaction score
They're both re-branded Dahuas and offer wired/wireless, 2 way audio, SD card, P/T and digital zoom, alarm I/O, are ONVIF & Blue Iris compatible. Available in white, black and silver (+ $15 for silver).

I use Blue Iris and can hear their mic's audio well thru the PC speakers; haven't tried a mic on the PC to speak thru the cam though. That could freak out the infant anyway, IMO.
Am I right that ONIVIF and Blue Iris are software to connect to camera in local network? So with the cameras you mentioned I don't have to run their provided apps and cloud.

My main concern is not about quality of these camera but how secure they are in terms of hijacking the video stream. Hence I want something completely isolated from internet.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Am I right that ONIVIF and Blue Iris are software to connect to camera in local network? So with the cameras you mentioned I don't have to run their provided apps and cloud.

My main concern is not about quality of these camera but how secure they are in terms of hijacking the video stream. Hence I want something completely isolated from internet.
You are correct in that P2P / cloud is not required in order to use these and they work very well with Blue Iris software. They can connect directly with BI and have no need to connect to the Internet for you to view their stream. I am not aware of your application but one of these can stream directly to a PC, with no router or switch, just implement a unique static IP in both the PC and the cam on the same subnet. Most, if not all, IP cams can be used that way, albeit it's not a common application.

As with any network device, steps have to be taken in order to insure security, such as implementing a VPN being one of the most desirable security measures. Until then, turn off/disable uPNP in these cams and in your router. Avoid forwarding any of your router's ports.

And for the record, most hijackers don't care to view your video stream(s); they would prefer to use your camera as bot to host and spread malware and DoS (Denial of Service) on your LAN and beyond.

If you have not already done so, I suggest you read "how to secure your network (Don't get hacked)" in the Wiki above.

Last edited: