Local RTSP/Onvif starts working only after launching Imou Life app from same device

aremac

n3wb
Reaction score
I recently bought a new IMOU Rex 3D 5MP camera (to keep an eye on my mother since she had a massive stroke and is in recovery), I installed Imou Life app on my Android phone, made an account, changed camera password, inserted microSD and started using it. After accessing the camera through the Imou Life app, I can connect to it from the same device using RTSP/Onvif through tinyCam, VLC or other software.

The problem is that after a while, I can no longer access the camera through RTSP/Onvif, as before. I can't even ping the camera. I have to start the Imou Life app on that device and then RTSP/Onvif starts working again. Camera continues recording to microSD without a hitch.

Also, I noticed that if I restart the router and I get a different IP from my ISP, everything works again for a while.

Is Imou Life banning my IP even in local network, or locking the camera up for security reasons?

I updated the camera firmware first thing (which I now suspect might have been a mistake, since I can't find a way to downgrade it).
I used other brand cameras, even Raspberry Pi rtsp streaming ones without such issues.
I even updated my DD-WRT router firmware.
Tried setting fixed IP for camera through ConfigTool and a static lease on the router.

I did receive a few emails from them about abnormal login, but I suspected it was about logging into Imou Life HD on two tablets.
Abnormal Account Login
Dear Imou user:
Your account is logged in on other devices, please pay attention to the security of your account.If it is not operated by yourself, it is recommended to change your account password in time.
This is an automatic mail sent by system, do not reply this mail. Thank you for choosing us, please enjoy.
Camera - IMOU Rex 3D 5MP
Model - IPC-GS2D-5K0W
Firmware version - 2.800.0000000.8.R 2023-07-25
Hardware ID - 1.10
Stream - rtsp:/192.168.0.50:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0&unicast=true&proto=Onvif
Snapshot -
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again and have a nice day!

aremac

n3wb
Reaction score
Update 1: Using the SmartPSS tool, I added the camera by its SN and it just started working on the PC...
Update 2: I reset the camera and switched to ethernet. Seems to work well, but testing...

Even if it works on eth, I'm still curious about this camera's odd behavior.